Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kaleidoscope quilts >

Kaleidoscope quilts

Kaleidoscope quilts

Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

I have seen some beautiful kaleidoscope quilts here. Does anyone have a pattern or a tutorial they have used and found helpful. I want to make one, but don't know where to start. Help!!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 PM

I found this link http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.co...ope-block.html
Old 05-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

I can't help you with your question, but I came across this program the other day and thought I would share it.... it's a new take on the Kaleidocscope Block.

http://www.kaleidoscopecollections.c.../fftp_info.htm

When this company first started, they had a 30 day free download that you could create blocks with. You could use any picture to create the block, we used humans, animals, flowers, you name it. Some blocks were stunning, others looked alien....my kids and grandkids loved it!!!

It is kind of like EQ, you could scan or photograph your fabric too, and see what it is going to look like before you cut up your fabric.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:16 AM

I have been doing this for a while and really enjoy it. I will forewarn you it does take a lot more material than your average quilt.. but if you're a "glass half full" kinda person, it sure leaves a lot of scraps for other things. I used a booklet for my first wall hanging that was by Jinny Beyers. It is called Los Doches. (I hope that spelling is right.) It is from the 80's and I have NO idea what happened to it. If you need any other help give me a shout.. It's one of my favorite things, and I'm looking forward to trying it on shapes other than the 8 pointed stars I usually make.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

Thanks to you all for your help. Hope to start one soon.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 PM

http://home.howstuffworks.com/kaleid...uilt-block.htm heres an easy one I want to try :D http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_qlt/episode/0,2046,DIY_15080_27576,00.html another

Old 05-05-2009, 12:58 PM

Little Hud

I attended a workshop umm about 4/5 weeks ago now for making a Kaleidescope block. The technique used was a really good one, we had no wastage of fabric & used our degree markers on our rulers for cutting out so there were no templates to purchase etc. I am naughty (please don't tell the quilt police LOL) & haven't quite got around to finishing them off as I am trying to find that right tone of background fabric to compliment the main fabric used. :oops:
If you want me to post you an unfinished picture of a block I will do - oh yes before I forget I managed to make 18 totally different blocks from the fabric.
Let me know what you decide - I'm more than willing to show you what I have done . :D

Tisha
Old 05-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter1962
Little Hud

I attended a workshop umm about 4/5 weeks ago now for making a Kaleidescope block. The technique used was a really good one, we had no wastage of fabric & used our degree markers on our rulers for cutting out so there were no templates to purchase etc. I am naughty (please don't tell the quilt police LOL) & haven't quite got around to finishing them off as I am trying to find that right tone of background fabric to compliment the main fabric used. :oops:
If you want me to post you an unfinished picture of a block I will do - oh yes before I forget I managed to make 18 totally different blocks from the fabric.
Let me know what you decide - I'm more than willing to show you what I have done . :D

Tisha
Please do. I would love to see it. Can't wait.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:04 PM

Little Hud

Let me go & find my camera & see what I can do for you.

Tisha
Old 05-05-2009, 01:16 PM

Little Hud

Batteries on my camera are well & truly dead, so I have put them on charge will post pics tomorrow for you. :wink:

Tisha