Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
February 15, 2008 - Interwoven Puzzle - Directions & Discussion >

February 15, 2008 - Interwoven Puzzle - Directions & Discussion

February 15, 2008 - Interwoven Puzzle - Directions & Discussion

Old 02-15-2008, 11:12 PM

Wow, i've never done a BOM, and said i was gonna start now. This looks hard. Ive only done triangles with paper piecing, but i am going to give this a try, looks like a great pattern! Thank you
Old 02-15-2008, 11:15 PM

What really impresses me is the mock project of 20 such blocks on the last page of the instructions. Lots of work, but it would be beautiful. I wish I had time to do it, but for now I'll just have to bookmark it for the future.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:19 PM

Yes i saw that page, beautiful. I am going to make my ribbons out of 2 colours instead of 4, i think it will look less psychadelic, and think i will give it a try...im gonna be brave! lol
Old 02-15-2008, 11:19 PM

W0W, the stars just now jumped out of me; I’d been looking at the weave and didn’t see it at first. This really is a phenomenal block.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:20 PM

Yeah, ive been staring at the stars all night too, trying to figure how i can change the pattern a bit to make them stand out, we're thinking alike lol Actually i've decided to turn mine into a 20 inch block, (2 inch squares),with longer ribbons between the stars, so i can make the stars stand out more, maybe i will make 4 and turn it into a wall hanging
Old 02-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Administrator

There are a LOT great things about our particular Blocks of the Month activity. One of those things is that we are NOT required to follow the instructions to the letter if we can think of a method that works better for us.

For those who prefer to paper piece, i say GoForIt! :P

I have no intention of trying to get the long solid strips set in perfectly. I will cut mine long then trim the corners back to square when i have it altogether. i will probably not even cut them on the bias.

Pssst!!! Toni! C'mere ... let me whisper a secret in your ear ... when i took my first look at the block i had a heart attack! :lol: BUT i know i can do it. EVERYBODY here has what it takes to make this block. I will just have to take my time and pay closer attention to detail than i usually do.

We need a challenge now and then. It's good for us and will keep us moving forward. It helps us find our strengths and weaknesses and build our confidence. For those who are worried about this one, don't focus on fear and insecurity. Focus on how FABULOUS it looks and how GREAT and PROUD you will feel when you have finished it and proven to yourself what I already know. Which is ... YOU CAN DO IT. :P :P :P
Old 02-16-2008, 01:04 AM

So i've never done a BOM before. I see this one is a 12" block. If a person wanted to do each BOM and turn it into a sampler quilt, does this mean all the BOM's are 12' blocks? Or are they dif sizes, and a person just adds sashings and stuff to smaller blocks?
Old 02-16-2008, 05:34 AM
Administrator

there are no rules about that. you can make the blocks any size you want, although most of the instructions will suggest 12". you can make all blocks the same size, or several different sizes. if you cruise around the internet, you'll find lots of examples of samplers made with odd-sized blocks.

it's all up to you. :P
Old 02-16-2008, 08:59 AM

I do have something positive to say about making this block: "At least the pieces/parts are small when ripping them apart!" :roll:

And a suggestion/hint for the squeamish: Use the exact same colors as shown in the pattern.

Denise, thanks for stretching our limits. I'm having fun!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chele
I do have something positive to say about making this block: "At least the pieces/parts are small when ripping them apart!" :roll:

And a suggestion/hint for the squeamish: Use the exact same colors as shown in the pattern.

Denise, thanks for stretching our limits. I'm having fun!
oh i'm so happy your having fun with this block. I thought i'd make another block today and then post the pictures as i cut and put the pieces together, maybe this will help. If anyone is interested. So off to the cutting board i go. See you back in a while :P