Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
February 15, 2008 - Interwoven Puzzle - Directions & Discussion >

February 15, 2008 - Interwoven Puzzle - Directions & Discussion

February 15, 2008 - Interwoven Puzzle - Directions & Discussion

Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 PM

Tim, may I borrow the steel toed boots for a while? :(
Old 02-15-2008, 12:59 PM

:?: What ya going to do to them toes? I don't get the bff,sorry. :mrgreen:
It was plain to me the difference between the two ways of doing it in the picture. My question is though is the second as easy as the first as far as piecing it goes? :lol:
Old 02-15-2008, 01:04 PM

I like this block, I don't see it as a stand alone block in a sampler quilt. but that's just me.
If I had a qult program like EQ6 or Quilt Pro could I put this block in and figure yardage. My old brain just doesn't want to compute anymore. I know it's 20 blocks but one could not just multiply 20 times fabric requirments. If a program would make this easier, I'm so happy. whiney marie
Old 02-15-2008, 01:50 PM

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should have known this would be another block to test my patience....lol :-) This looks like a beautiful block until I get ahold of it. I see the difference in the pics but don't know if it would make a difference for me. I have seen some where they show the shortcut and that makes it more complicated for me. Guess I am backwards...lol.

Yes I was complaining to Patrice :D .....Can't wait till the next BOM......lol
Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM

I thought I heard a "gasp" and the clunk of a jaw hit the floor from the direction Ohio when I saw this block...It WAS you Toni!!! :wink: You'll do great with it, I have faith in ya!! :)
Old 02-15-2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Here is the same block, broken down two ways, with a light background.

I think Denise made a great choice! :P
Thank you Patrice, i thought this block was fairly easy to make. I just have a problem with the long template on how to connect the side pieces to it. Other then that i really enjoyed making it. I anxious to make it into a quilt. Unfortunately i'm still feeling abit under the weather, so it will have to wait. I like the patterns you posted, did you make those with EQ5?
Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by PamH
Good choice Denise, because I need a lot of practice on half square triangles. It looks like a lot of fun :lol:
Thank you Pam i hope you have as much fun as i did making it. I had picked three different blocks and this one just kept saying make me , make me. :lol: I also thought it would be a very good block to practice those 1/2 triangles. OH yes can't forget those flying geese. I thought it would be a change from the regular blocks to. Happy sewing, :-)
Old 02-15-2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by newquiltertoni
UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should have known this would be another block to test my patience....lol :-) This looks like a beautiful block until I get ahold of it. I see the difference in the pics but don't know if it would make a difference for me. I have seen some where they show the shortcut and that makes it more complicated for me. Guess I am backwards...lol.

Yes I was complaining to Patrice :D .....Can't wait till the next BOM......lol
heh toni i to have faith in you to be able to do this bom. Oh please give it a try, you will be amazed when its done. I'm new at this bom thing to, i think i only made one of the bom's last year, was to chicken to try them out. Then i figured how am i going to get any practise or learn any of these neat blocks if i don't give them a try. So this year i'm going to do my best in making as many as i can. I think my main problem with some of the boms is that some of the instructions seem abit confusing to me. So i give up to fast, but not this year, i'm going for the guss toe :lol: .
I know you can do this, :wink: Happy sewing.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:03 PM

I thought i'd write down some notes on how i had cut the pieces for this bom. Maybe it will help others in making it easier to follow.
1). print out the templates and measure that they are the right size, the center square should measure 2 5/8 sq. in. the longer template should measure 2 5/8 wide, and 5 3/8 from flat end to pointed end.
2). In color 5 where it says, 4"x16" strip, i just cut 2" strips and cut into 2" squares, to get the 16 needed.
3). Where it says to cut color 5, 2 3/8 x 9 1/2 strip into four 2 3/8 squares. I didn't cut those in half as it says. i thought it would be easier to just place the colored 2 3/8 squares right sides together to the color 5 2 3/8, draw a line in center of colored fabrics of 1, 2, 3, and 4. then sew on both sides of line 1/4 inch, then cut apart. Then you have your combos of each color ( on bottom of page 1) and they will measure 2".
4). with the templates (the long one with the pointy end) cut the strip then i put the template over it to draw the pointy end, then cut it. This seemed to help me with getting as close as i can. I also folded this strip or finger press it to get the center before i connected the 1/2 triangle to the flat side. As far as the rest of the instructions i just followed as it said. I hope this makes sense when you read this, and hope it helps with the cutting instructions. :P Happy sewing everyone.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 PM
bj

I think I like the layout with little squares. Would they need to be 2" squares (1.5" finished) to do a 12" block (12.5")? I'm still a little fuzzy on figuring starting sizes to end up with the finished size for the quilt block. I'm having flashbacks to the quilt for my dil's mom, and each of those blocks only had 55 pieces. LOL. I just bought pink, lavender, yellow, and green for a baby girl quilt. I think this would make up nicely. Don't need it until middle of April, so I think it would be do-able.

Yikes! Just realized there were more posts on a second page. I think Denise answered my question. Thanks.