Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Winter Block Swap Sign up Closed - Mail date has passed >

Winter Block Swap Sign up Closed - Mail date has passed

Winter Block Swap Sign up Closed - Mail date has passed

Old 07-23-2010, 07:18 AM

Winter BLOCK SWAP

Your blocks can be appliqued, pieced, embroidered, sampler, what ever you would like to do and are capable of.

I only ask that you keep it winter theme and not Christmas.

Fabric: 100% cotton but does not need to be LQS. Use the golden rule with selecting your fabric and use what you would like to get in return. And of course washed and pressed to avoid shrinkage is a must. As well as carefully squaring your blocks. :)

Two choices :

12 1/2 inch UNFINISHED Winter Themed blocks. Try to keep this non Christmas themed because not every one celebrates Christmas.

OR

Various sized blocks in multiples of 12. 3 1/2 inch and so on. Again UNFINISHED and winter Themed.

Using this option you can send either square or rectangle.

(Whichever option you send me you will be receiving in return. You are more than welcome to make more than one set and will receive an equal number back.)

****You make 12 blocks and send them to me along with a self addressed, stamped envelope for return postage... what ever it cost to send it to me, it will cost to return your blocks to you...so be sure to put enough postage on your envelope.****

You will not receive one of your own blocks back so if you'd like to have one that you made please make and keep an extra.

Please mark EACH ONE of your blocks with a little slip of paper pinned to or a sticky label with your message board id and if you want to, your real name. It is nice to know who made the blocks in your quilt. And please send your blocks in a zip-lock baggie in case the names fall off.

If you want to make multiple sets, just make sure you have 12 blocks of each pattern. You will receive back as many as you send. Please let me know how many you are planning to make.

Mail your blocks to me by October 3, 2010

I will mail them back out by October 15, 2010 or as close to that as possible.

If you want to post what block you are making, we can try to keep them all as different as possible.

Let me know if you have any questions. And be gentle this is my first time hosting a swap ;)

***Edited to add***

Do to popular request, you can make the blocks in your set different patterns or the same patterns with different fabrics if you choose to. Just make sure you send 12 per set and they are the same dimensions.

Group Activity http://www.quiltingboard.com/group_a...jsp?gracnum=65

*****Edit 8/2****
In order to preserve my sanity I'm going to cut off sign ups at 50 swappers. (over 600 blocks) Of course if a few more sneak in after the 50th and the time I post the close they will be allowed in.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:36 AM

Count me in on this one. I will PM you info re block(s) I want to make as soon as I check out my stash and make a decision. I am excited. I can see wanting to make 3 sets (3", 6" and 12") for a really great and interesting quilt. This looks like so much fun.

Thanks for hosting this swap. I know it's a lot of work. If you need any help with anything, please let me know.

Note: Can someone tell me why I have that face where I want a closing paragraph? I have tried to fix it three times!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:39 AM

Okay, I haven't decided yet if I'm going to do this one, I've got a lot to do between now and Christmas. However I have a question. This isn't the first swap I've seen this on so I'm curious. Why send 12 blocks to get one of them back? Why not just send 11 or make 13 and keep one? Seems to me that it would save on postage. I just did the Funky Neighborhood and we were supposed to send sets of 6. I made 7 of each of my blocks and kept one. I'm new to swapping so please don't take this wrong, I'm not dissagreeing with your plan, just curious.

Thanks Judy :) I still need to decide what I'm making. LOL.

Might be interested in this one.
But, what do you consider winter themed?
I need some ideas before I decide. :roll:
Old 07-23-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Okay, I haven't decided yet if I'm going to do this one, I've got a lot to do between now and Christmas. However I have a question. This isn't the first swap I've seen this on so I'm curious. Why send 12 blocks to get one of them back? Why not just send 11 or make 13 and keep one? Seems to me that it would save on postage. I just did the Funky Neighborhood and we were supposed to send sets of 6. I made 7 of each of my blocks and kept one. I'm new to swapping so please don't take this wrong, I'm not dissagreeing with your plan, just curious.
You have a good point. I was pretty much going with what I saw on other swaps. I suppose it would make more sense to have 12 sent in and 12 different ones sent back. Otherwise it does seem silly. I'm gonna change that real quick. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I've always wondered this too. Will be looking forward to the answer.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ms Grace
Might be interested in this one.
But, what do you consider winter themed?
I need some ideas before I decide. :roll:
For sampler blocks, wintery fabric such as snow flakes, anything that looks cold and wintery on prints. I'd even go with white and blue colors. If you want to applique, then snowmen, snowflakes, trees with snow.... ice skates maybe?

Does that help?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:45 AM

Ok changed it so you do not receive your own back. I agree that it makes more sense that way.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:46 AM

I'm glad you responded so quickly and didn't take offense. I've seen it so many times and wondered since postage can really add up. Like I said, I'm still thinking about this one. I've currently got two tops to make, one more to finish and 5 to quilt before Christmas. I may not overload myself at this point in time but I do appreciate the answer and I'm glad you changed it.