Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • I need help ! >
  • I need help !

• I need help !

Old 08-15-2010, 06:29 AM

This is the point I get to all the time, I pick a pattern, pick out the fabrics, and make the top and I guess that is where my confidence ends. I have a pile of completed tops - I have trouble figuring out how to quilt them. I'm very comfortable with quilting them - I can do stitch in the ditch and fmq (experienced, but nowhere near expert). Its the design part I'm having trouble with.

I'm making an effort to try new things and learn new techniques. The attached wallhanging uses a technique for curves where you sew a diagonally folded square sewn in over a regular square and you just roll back the folded edge which is on the bias and it curves and you sew it down. Really cool tecnique and it was alot of fun to make. Now its done and I have no clue what to do and I refuse to put it in my UFO pile because I'm too chicken to go for it -

Any suggestings or thoughts on how to quilt it ???
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-97451.jpe  
    Old 08-15-2010, 06:34 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Sorry I have no suggestions, just wanted to tell you how pretty this is. The dragonflies are beautiful.
    Old 08-15-2010, 06:40 AM
    Power Poster

There are some wonderful books out with designs in them. One is called, "Hooked on Quilting". It gives you some really neat options to consider for this quilt. I can see feathers and echoe quilting easily on this quilt. It all depends on how much time and quilting you want on it.
    What you can do is print out a picture of your quilt and use a overlay sheet of plastic to doodle in the designs. Then if you don't like that just take a new sheet and try again. I think once you begin doing this, it will become apparent to you which design you like best. You sometimes have to think of it as a whole cloth with designs on it ignoring the smaller seams.
    Old 08-15-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Sorry I have no suggestions, just wanted to tell you how pretty this is. The dragonflies are beautiful.
    Thank you very much !
    Old 08-15-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    There is are some wonderful books out with designs in them. One is called, "Hooked on Quilting". It gives you some really neat options to consider for this quilt. I can see feathers and echoe quilting easily on this quilt. It all depends on how much time and quilting you want on it.
    What you can do is print out a picture of your quilt and use a overlay sheet of plastic to doodle in the designs. Then if you don't like that just take a new sheet and try again. I think once you begin doing this, it will become apparent to you whick design you like best. You sometimes have to think of it as a whole cloth with designs on it ignoring the smaller seams.
    Great suggestions - I will give it a try and see if something talks to me. Thanks.
    Old 08-15-2010, 06:48 AM

No suggestions, but that is a great top! :D
    Old 08-15-2010, 06:49 AM

I like Red's suggestion. I do want to tell you how pretty your wallhanging is though.
    Old 08-15-2010, 06:50 AM

I don't know about quilting, as I have yet to it myself. But that is beautiful!!
    Power Poster

OMG that is just beautiful!!!!!!!!!! You are very talented!
    No suggestions from me, sorry, but I'm still working up the courage to machine quilt :D

First let me say that it's a very lovely quilt! Next, I can see a large meander done on the background, then using the meander as a spine I would quilt feathers on either side of the spine. Depending on the size of the dragonflies, I might stitch a little on top of them, maybe to draw attention to their wings. I would probably outline stitch the blue "ribbon" - keeping the stitching on the blue but not on the area that is turned back. Does this make any sense?