Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I need help ! >

I need help !

I need help !

Old 08-15-2010, 08:30 AM

outline stitching on a christmas stocking
Attached Thumbnails attachment-97474.jpe  
Old 08-15-2010, 08:36 AM

So pretty :-D :-D Why not mirror the outside frame until you get to the dragon flys then mirror them too. just a thought.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:36 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
There are some wonderful books out with designs in them. One is called, "Hooked on Quilting". It gives you some really neat options to consider for this quilt. I can see feathers and echoe quilting easily on this quilt. It all depends on how much time and quilting you want on it.
What you can do is print out a picture of your quilt and use a overlay sheet of plastic to doodle in the designs. Then if you don't like that just take a new sheet and try again. I think once you begin doing this, it will become apparent to you which design you like best. You sometimes have to think of it as a whole cloth with designs on it ignoring the smaller seams.
It really is lovely! If you use a fine tipped dry erase marker on the plastic you can wipe it off if you don't like your doodled design.

I hope you will do a tutorial on those curves!
Old 08-15-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by icon17
So pretty :-D :-D Why not mirror the outside frame until you get to the dragon flys then mirror them too. just a thought.
By "mirror" do you mean echo ? Could you post an example of what that might look like ?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice on the quilting as I am often in the same situation. However, I wanted to tell you that your work is absolutely beautiful. I'm sure whatever you decide, the quilt will be outstanding.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
I love LOVE LOVE your quilt! What about hearts in the big open spaces? I was thinking hearts within hearts and then stipple elsewhere?
Yes, I was thinking about hearts also - because the top of the hearts would fit nicely with the boarder - maybe feathered hearts ?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
There are some wonderful books out with designs in them. One is called, "Hooked on Quilting". It gives you some really neat options to consider for this quilt. I can see feathers and echoe quilting easily on this quilt. It all depends on how much time and quilting you want on it.
What you can do is print out a picture of your quilt and use a overlay sheet of plastic to doodle in the designs. Then if you don't like that just take a new sheet and try again. I think once you begin doing this, it will become apparent to you which design you like best. You sometimes have to think of it as a whole cloth with designs on it ignoring the smaller seams.
It really is lovely! If you use a fine tipped dry erase marker on the plastic you can wipe it off if you don't like your doodled design.

I hope you will do a tutorial on those curves!
Thank you. If everyone is interested I could certainly do a "tutorial" for the curves - I've never done one before, but I would happily give it a try.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:31 AM

The pattern came from www.southwinddesigns.com and I have another book not by southwinddesgns that I'll have to go find and post the name here.

Thank you everybody for all the compliments and suggestings - all of you ladies are so talented, I am always in awwwwww of what you create.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:40 AM

Since they are Dragonflies, how about some traveling loops.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:44 AM

It looks like a good one to hand quilt if you haven't done it before as it is small. And you could save it for when you are on the road, in a waiting room or just sitting at the couch. I would baste it with lots of pins and follow the designs about 1/8 inch in from the seams. Then maybe spirals in the plain areas. I am licking my chops. :) Its beautiful.