Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I need help ! >

I need help !

I need help !

Old 08-15-2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
First let me say that it's a very lovely quilt! Next, I can see a large meander done on the background, then using the meander as a spine I would quilt feathers on either side of the spine. Depending on the size of the dragonflies, I might stitch a little on top of them, maybe to draw attention to their wings. I would probably outline stitch the blue "ribbon" - keeping the stitching on the blue but not on the area that is turned back. Does this make any sense?
Yes - it definitely makes sense. Great suggestions - thank you.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:55 AM

THANK YOU everybody !
Old 08-15-2010, 06:59 AM

Hi there, Well, it seems we have the same problem, which may be more common than I thought. I am a new quilter and have done a few wall hangings and only one baby quilt. I chickened out on FMQ on the baby quilt and did ditch instead. Your beautiful top deserves experience and reading "Bobbielinks" advice, I'd say she knows what she's doing. Please repost this and explain what you ended up doing - it would help me a great deal. Thanks, Good luck, and I love your quilt.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:05 AM

Very Nice! The colors are wonderful!
Old 08-15-2010, 07:07 AM

I am interested in this curved piecing technique you are describing. Where can I find a book or lesson or video on this?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:08 AM

I love LOVE LOVE your quilt! What about hearts in the big open spaces? I was thinking hearts within hearts and then stipple elsewhere?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
There are some wonderful books out with designs in them. One is called, "Hooked on Quilting". It gives you some really neat options to consider for this quilt. I can see feathers and echoe quilting easily on this quilt. It all depends on how much time and quilting you want on it.
What you can do is print out a picture of your quilt and use a overlay sheet of plastic to doodle in the designs. Then if you don't like that just take a new sheet and try again. I think once you begin doing this, it will become apparent to you which design you like best. You sometimes have to think of it as a whole cloth with designs on it ignoring the smaller seams.
That's a great tip!
Old 08-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I would echo quilt around the dragon flies and fill in the rest with feathers. I'm still working on feathers and I see them everywhere. :-D
Old 08-15-2010, 08:14 AM

Its always easier to give someone else ideas on how to do something then actually figure out your own. Ask me how I know this!

When I first saw your top I thought of feathers especially in the borders and outline quilting for the dragonflies. I would get a pretty metallic thread and put like veins in the dragonflies wings.

Here are a couple of sites that I go to to get ideas:

This one has a cute dragonfly design
http://www.stensource.com/cat_result...index=quilting stencils&resultpage=

You need to scroll down to see these:
http://www.allcrafts.net/quilting.htm
Old 08-15-2010, 08:21 AM

It is a beautiful quilt. Why not just outline stitch it with your fmq technique? And not a perfect outline just follow the lines of your dragonflies and your curved blue lines and stay just outside of the curved lines. Fill the rest of the quilt in with loops almost like a flight pattern of one of the dragon flies. Would love to see it finished when you have decided on how to quilt it. ellie