Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Husband made it for me! >

Husband made it for me!

Husband made it for me!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo
Hello, ganny. Love the thread holder. However, do be careful storing fabric in a cedar chest! Cedar wood naturally has smelly oil in the wood and it will stain your fabrics. Have you ever seen old quilts with ugly brown stains on them? Most likely that was wood sap from a cedar chest or other wood. Better to wrap a carpet roll with fabric and roll your quilts on them. You can stand them up in a closet or hang the rolls from the ceiling, etc. Just be careful storing your quilts in unlined drawers or cedar chests. Thought you'd like to know.
Thanks, I always wrap them in plastic before storing.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by perry
A friend gave me a cone thread holder just today. Her husband makes them. I also want a wall board, my question is what kind of material do you use?
I took a wide window shade and put felt on it but it does not hold as good as it needs to. Rolls up fine, just doesn't hold good enough.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:44 AM

I just made (yes Me) my own "wall board" I got the idea from this board.
I bought a long blind from Lowes and a 8 ft 1x3 board. Went home cut the board a little longer then the blind. mounted the hardware on board.
Covered the shade with flannel I used tacky spray to "glue" it on. Screwed the board to the wall put up the shade and now I have a design wall which can be pulled up our of the way when not in use.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 AM

You will notice that I said to wrap a roll in fabric, not plastic! Plastic does not breathe and your fabrics could mildew when stored in plastic and that won't come out, either.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:51 PM

I saw where someone had used a paper towel holder for a cone holder. Both of these are very smart! I bought a cheapie at JoAnn's years ago!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by champagnebubbles
I just made (yes Me) my own "wall board" I got the idea from this board.
I bought a long blind from Lowes and a 8 ft 1x3 board. Went home cut the board a little longer then the blind. mounted the hardware on board.
Covered the shade with flannel I used tacky spray to "glue" it on. Screwed the board to the wall put up the shade and now I have a design wall which can be pulled up our of the way when not in use.
Does it work? The quilt squares do not "stick" to the flannel very well.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:24 PM

Look at all that thread! You have a great sewing space!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Banned

great job, I want the big one. :D God bless.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:03 AM

A quick and inexpensive way to make a design wall (if you do not mind leaving it up all the time) is to purchase thin lath strips and nail them into the wall at ceiling and baseboard level. Then, nail fleece onto the top laths and pull it taut and nail it onto the bottom. The nail holes will not show when you have to remove it, but mine has been up for 9 years and is still in great shape. The quilt blocks stick just fine without using any spray. My fleece wall covers the short wall in my studio.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo
A quick and inexpensive way to make a design wall (if you do not mind leaving it up all the time) is to purchase thin lath strips and nail them into the wall at ceiling and baseboard level. Then, nail fleece onto the top laths and pull it taut and nail it onto the bottom. The nail holes will not show when you have to remove it, but mine has been up for 9 years and is still in great shape. The quilt blocks stick just fine without using any spray. My fleece wall covers the short wall in my studio.
I have fleece on the shade, wonder why material doesn't stick so good? Maybe because the shade is not taut when down? I'll have to work on that.