Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
WARNING!!!  DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR QUILT!!!!  I BLEW IT!!! >

WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR QUILT!!!! I BLEW IT!!!

WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR QUILT!!!! I BLEW IT!!!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
Originally Posted by Bobby's Girl
Buy a can of "Spray and Wash," now renamed "Resolve," and a box of Biz powder. (Get the aerosol, not the pump refill.) Spray the fabric, let it set for 10 minutes or so, then soak it in Biz dissolved in enough warm water to cover it. The soaking might take a day or two. Slosh (move) the quilt around in the Biz water a few times a day. When I taught school, I got ballpoint ink on my clothes daily, and it always came out using those products.
Thank you, Bobby's Girl, for this nice tip!! Spray and Wash is nice but I found Oxyclean to beat that a mile. Oxyclean will remove old set-in stains! We can't get Biz powder in our location. Perhaps Naphtha Soap will work. It's always been advertised to get out the toughest stains! Will let you know if this works when I try. Thank you so much for this help!!

:D
For removing a stain, Oxyclean works, but using Spray and Wash on ballpoint pen ink isn't the same as removing a stain. I don't know what's in it that makes it remove ink, but it works. If the ink is fresh, just spraying it causes it to start fading.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:38 PM

You might try glycerin. Rub it into the areas and let stand for 20 minutes. Then wash with dishwashing liquid. Hope you find a solution. It is a beautiful quilt and thanks for a lesson for us all.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:18 PM

Ouch! So sorry this happened... and thank you for letting us know so we don't try it as well. I hope you can get the ink out--if not, I like Ditter's idea of re-quilting it with black or dark blue thread. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:00 AM

Have you used Zout yet!!! put it on and let it set for a few hours. Than lightly rub. I know it takes fingernail polish off because i had a wedding I did and one of the bridemaids got polish on the front of her dress and I used Zout and it came out . So sad Good luck.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:17 AM

So sorry!
Old 09-08-2010, 02:27 AM

try rubbing alchol, I used it on my sons white work shirt the other day after he had washed and dried it with ink all over it, I thought for sure it was headed for the trash. let it soak for a bit, scrub. It looks like a mess but it worked for me. Don't let it dry, wash, then repeat process if needed.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:28 AM

if all else fails make like you ment it too be +make it a solid line a feature---check out drappelique [technice? [sorry having a spelling brain fade]
Old 09-08-2010, 03:12 AM

I have one more suggestion for you to try. Take it to the cleaners and talk with them. I had a uniform top years ago that I had forgotten to put the cap on a sharpy and the sharpy leaked into the pocket and spread. they were able to take most of it out and lightened what was left. My heart goes out to you.
Shanna
Old 09-08-2010, 03:16 AM

Wash it with a few tablets of steradent. That also helps when the colors, mostly red, have bleaded on the lighter fabric in a quilt.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
If it won't come out, quilt over it with black or dark blue thread.....Bummer!! :|
Now THAT'S a creative solution! Pretend like it was meant to be that way! (and don't do it again. lol)