Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help figuring out yardage >

Help figuring out yardage

Help figuring out yardage

Old 01-23-2011, 08:30 PM

I am attaching a sketch (and I am not a good sketcher) of my quilt I am making and would like for someone to figure the yardage I need for the borders and center block. The outside 8" border, the 4"border around center block, 2" border around center block and the center block. Have I confused you yet? I have figured it but not sure I am correct since I haven't made a quilt in several years where I had to figure for borders. Thanks for your help.

Sissy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-166964.jpe  
Old 01-23-2011, 08:48 PM

Are all the borders the same fabric
Old 01-23-2011, 09:02 PM

Hi Sissy if I figured this right, your 4" border will take 2/3yd., your 2" border 1/3yd.,and your 8" border at least 21/3yd. if you don't mind piecing it together. If you don't want to piece your 8"border than I'd get 3yds. Hope this helps you out. Good luck. Post a picture when you get it finished.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:09 PM

I don't know how to do that either so I bought the "Quilter's FabriCalc". I can figure just about anything do do with all the different yardages in quilts. I am learning to use it and keep the manual handy. I really like it! I going to join a quilting group beginning in Feb. and hoping that will help me learn and the little tricks of quilting!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Thumbelina
Hi Sissy if I figured this right, your 4" border will take 2/3yd., your 2" border 1/3yd.,and your 8" border at least 21/3yd. if you don't mind piecing it together. If you don't want to piece your 8"border than I'd get 3yds. Hope this helps you out. Good luck. Post a picture when you get it finished.
Thank you Thumbelina! That was close to what I had figured. For the center block, I will have to buy a yard for it because it is too wide to get two out of a yard, right?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:27 PM

would love t o find some one who really knows how to use the fabricalc! I've enlarged a quilt from a pattern I have and every time I run it through the fabricalc I come up with different answers. Some are totally ludicrous. any ideas?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by squilter
Originally Posted by Thumbelina
Thank you Thumbelina! That was close to what I had figured. For the center block, I will have to buy a yard for it because it is too wide to get two out of a yard, right?
I will have to have enough to do 5 quilts, whew, the fabric I wanted is $7.95 yd. I think I will have to go with something else.
don't expect to see them anytime soon....HOPEFULLY by next Christmas.