Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to Applique...Need a little help please :) >

New to Applique...Need a little help please :)

New to Applique...Need a little help please :)

Old 02-08-2011, 03:01 AM

I am taking an applique class where she is teaching us to step out of the box and use other stitches. I have used 32 on stems and leaves looks very cool. I have used other stitches but can't remember all the different numbers. You can also mirror image 19 and 20 that also looks very cool. Play with the stitches and see which ones appeal to you.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:06 AM

I've ordered an applique pattern & need all the info I can find. Have saved your stitches chart.Will you sew by hand or machine? Mine has to be by machine as my hands won't allow much hand sewing.Maybe there's an applique tute on here to help you?

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
I wanted to try some applique this weekend. I read some tutorials and got the basic idea of things. I used steam a seam and copied the design from my sons color book. I have it pressed down and am pretty pleased with the results. Now I need to stitch it down.

So my question is what stitch do I use? blanket, zig-zag, satin stitch? I read about using all sorts of things. So what do you think is the best? I really haven't strayed and used very many of the stitches on my machine and honestly don't know what they are. So here is a pic of the ones that I have. From what I gathered it sort of looked like maybe 19 was the one I was suppose to use? And do I need to change the stitch length/width or just leave it at what it is preset to?
Thanks!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:57 AM

I taught Applique at JoAnn Fabrics,and I would tell my students to use either the satin stitch,or the blanket stitch depending on the look you want. Over the years now I LOVE the blanket stitch and it really is easier to use. Just follow along the RIGHT side of the design and you can choose how far in to go with the part of the stitch that goes onto the applique( I call it the bite),you can also adjust how long or short you want your stitches,practice on some scrap fabric till you get the look you want. Good luck,your gonna love applique. I've even used some decorative stitches you just have to make sure the applique is attached to the background.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:03 AM

I do allot of applique and use all diff decorative stitches just to give it diff looks...so there's nothing you can't use...just depends on the amt of work you want to put into it. I've used 5, 32,19,20,32,35,39,40 and 41...Do some samples and see what you like the best and size...size is adjustable
Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 AM

I would use 39 and reverse it so it goes right to left onto the fabric piece. its called the button hole stitch...#19 has 2/3 stitches in between the jump left and would work too
Old 02-08-2011, 06:04 AM

LovinMySoldier.
I think if you can get a diagram of your stitches up for us to see, you can do anything!!
I love your soldier too. And all who serve their nation.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:37 AM

I used 20 on my applique quilt and I loved the results. Be sure and test on a scrap first to make sure it is what you want. I reduced the width and length both for mine. Also, you need to decide if you want matching, contrasting or invisible thread on the top. Just be sure and use regular cotton thread in the bobbin. Show us your quilt when done. Sounds like it will be cute :-D
Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 AM

Here is a quickie which may help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDv4quiCjFM
When I come to a point, I gradually shorten the width as I turn the point, then gradually increase, keeping a balance on each side, if possible. Not that I'm paranoid about the Quilt Police, but a bunch of overlapping stitches just doesn't appeal to me.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:59 AM

You can use the blanket stitch or the blind hem stitch but take a sample piece of fabric & change the width & length to your likeing before you do the real piece,you have lots of options on your machine.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:09 AM

When I did my funky chicken buckets (see swap ... page 41 I think it was) I did #19 around the bucket but used the satin stitch for doing the chicken pieces so they stood out more. I watched / read tons of stuff before I tried it (my first try too).

One place said to use the slanted zigzag (#6 I think for yours) as it finished the edge a little more....I didn't like the way it looked for me. I had a "sample" bucket that I tried all different types of stitches on before I chose one.

Also, each time I turned off my machine and had to reset the adjustments (you know, like when you have to feed the natives), that I retested my settings just in case I forgot to do something. Write down your settings so you don't have to remember them between sessions.

I used the "needle down" button a whole bunch so I could turn corners and pivot...made it easier.

Good luck to ya...what doesn't kill you will make you stronger (so they say but I'd rather just practice)