Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Caution with Your Vintage Machines >

Caution with Your Vintage Machines

Caution with Your Vintage Machines

Old 02-13-2011, 06:10 PM

:shock: Wow, I am so glad you lived to warn us. Now if someone like you with lots and lots of experience has a oops moment, maybe some of us need extra caution.

piney
Old 02-13-2011, 06:11 PM

wow wouldn't have guesses
Old 02-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

[quote=Lostn51]As we all know what is old is new again and that the Vintage machines are really catching on. But before you plug one in and try her out be sure to have it inspected by someone that knows about electrics.

So glad you are ok. I was just about to start a post about this very thing. So if it's alright, I'll post my experience here.

I had a bit of a vintage drama myself a week or so ago. I have owned "Jasper" (1950's Pinnock) for over 20 years....for a long time he was neglected and only dragged out for repairs/curtain making. I started quilting by hand some time ago but in the last few years I thought I'd try machine piecing and quilting, so Jasper is permanently set up, ready for action (currently sitting atop my treadle which is pending restoration).

I was piecing away, and then smelled burning and heard crackling....disconnected the power and felt the motor - absolutely red hot. With a heavy heart I put Jasper aside on the table and got my husband to take a look (he is experienced with electrics/motors etc.). Amazingly the motor was in great shape....the electrics however were not...both the pedal cord and the power cord were degraded inside and very dangerous - despite the outer covering being in pretty good condition.
Wonder husband replaced the cords gave everything a thorough check and now we are back on track.

I did feel pretty stupid though.....I would always check out a new vintage purchase thoroughly...but neglected a safety check on a machine I have owned for years.

Thanks for posting Billy....and here's a picture of "Jasper" seeing as you love 50's.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-125621.jpe  
Old 02-13-2011, 06:26 PM

Glad you are OK...and hoping that your hair has finally settled down close to your head...hehe...

My hubby was helping me with my 66 when I first got it....he managed to fry the motor by messing with the wiring....he hasn't been allowed to touch any of my machines since.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:28 PM

Glad you are ok! Sometimes the flea market/consignment dealers say, "Just plug it in and test drive it." When you can see bad wires, just say no, thank you, and back decent judgment about if it is worth buying without the test, and rewire as needed.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Banned

Oh Jasper is a rockin' little dude!!! I love the 50's Japanese machines, there is so much "Americana" in them and full of chrome and cool colors.

Billy
Old 02-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

So glad youre okay, how scarry!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oh Jasper is a rockin' little dude!!! I love the 50's Japanese machines, there is so much "Americana" in them and full of chrome and cool colors.

Billy
Knew you'd love him! He was manufactured here in Australia....the Pinnock factory in South Australia. I believe they were bought out by Brother USA in the 70's then I think the factory was closed. You don't see many for sale here, people tend to hang on to them.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 PM

[quote=earthwalker]
Originally Posted by Lostn51
As we all know what is old is new again and that the Vintage machines are really catching on. But before you plug one in and try her out be sure to have it inspected by someone that knows about electrics.

So glad you are ok. I was just about to start a post about this very thing. So if it's alright, I'll post my experience here.

I had a bit of a vintage drama myself a week or so ago. I have owned "Jasper" (1950's Pinnock) for over 20 years....for a long time he was neglected and only dragged out for repairs/curtain making. I started quilting by hand some time ago but in the last few years I thought I'd try machine piecing and quilting, so Jasper is permanently set up, ready for action (currently sitting atop my treadle which is pending restoration).

I was piecing away, and then smelled burning and heard crackling....disconnected the power and felt the motor - absolutely red hot. With a heavy heart I put Jasper aside on the table and got my husband to take a look (he is experienced with electrics/motors etc.). Amazingly the motor was in great shape....the electrics however were not...both the pedal cord and the power cord were degraded inside and very dangerous - despite the outer covering being in pretty good condition.
Wonder husband replaced the cords gave everything a thorough check and now we are back on track.

I did feel pretty stupid though.....I would always check out a new vintage purchase thoroughly...but neglected a safety check on a machine I have owned for years.

Thanks for posting Billy....and here's a picture of "Jasper" seeing as you love 50's.

OMG! You have my machine! Please toss the motor and put that machine in that treadle. Do you have the cams for this machine? This is the machine that uses cams for the decorative stitch, right?
Anyhow, I have been researching vintage machines that have the capability of decorative stitching that could be used in a treadle. And your machine looks like this could be the case.
Very NICE machine. Take good care of Jasper. And have fun treadling!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:48 PM

I'm glad you are alright.