Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand Quilting in Floor Frame

Blog Entries
    Ninnie... thank you for sharing this tutorial... I finished a top for my husband just last night and have decided I want to hand quilt it. I'm looking for a fleur-de-lis stencil... can't wait to get started... of course, first I have to sandwich and this is the largest quilt I've made so far...
    Somehow I'm encouraged by your tutorial... thank you!!

Ninnie,
    I so enjoyed your directions on your quilting frame. I am still hand quilting without a frame or hoop, but am wondering if there is an advantage to this frame. I have been looking at frames---some are pretty cheap and some are pretty pricey. Noticed that yours was a Hinterberg...I know nothing about frames, could you enlighten me?
    Do you find that you are tripping over the frame for the many months that it takes to get it quilted? Does the tension hold well for you? Do you feel that you are a prisoner to that frame with it being in the center of your living space? Is it easier to mark stencils on the frame or have you ever just used a table if you quilt without a frame?
    I am very curious!! Wonder if a frame would make me get more quilting done and not be on the QBV so often?

would like to know about the frame also?,,,,,Michele

pal
    Thank you, Ninnie. What a wonderful tutorial. Now I understand what "threading a few needles at the same time" means. (not what I thought) I have nests of threaded needles in my sewing kit. Also, never thought about using the tape.

Lots of times I get beautiful stitches on the top and nothing on the bottom. Is there a secret to catching the backing? Thank you so much. pal

I am a handquilter also. Question: Do you always stencil once the quilt is on the frame, or while the top is on a table? I am currently working on a queen size and marked it while it was on a table top. Used a pouncer with iron-off chalk but the marks seem rather faint after mounting on the frame.

Love your quilt and the tutu on hand guilting. Thanks for enlighten me.

My dear husband built me a frame several years ago which is in the attic and I've never used. The gear and hardware kit didn't come with instructions for use and I've never gotten the courage to try to figure it out. Thank you for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by sailsablazin
    Ninnie,
    I so enjoyed your directions on your quilting frame. I am still hand quilting without a frame or hoop, but am wondering if there is an advantage to this frame. I have been looking at frames---some are pretty cheap and some are pretty pricey. Noticed that yours was a Hinterberg...I know nothing about frames, could you enlighten me?
    Do you find that you are tripping over the frame for the many months that it takes to get it quilted? Does the tension hold well for you? Do you feel that you are a prisoner to that frame with it being in the center of your living space? Is it easier to mark stencils on the frame or have you ever just used a table if you quilt without a frame?
    I am very curious!! Wonder if a frame would make me get more quilting done and not be on the QBV so often?
    I have quilted without a frame also, and for small projects, it is fine, i use 405 spray to keep the layers together when lap quilting. The advantage to a floor frame is that all 3 layers r together, and u can set the tension for keeping them flat. Also, it is big enough to invite 3 or friends to come help, gets the quilting done faster. And yes, it is easier to mark, when the tension is set and the top is flat and tight. this frame turns up on its side, and can be placed along a wall when not in use. Also, it tilts, so u r always quilting at the perfect height for u.
    And for staying of the QB, well no, u will still come here, it is an addictive place to be lol.

What is the name of the frame?....Michele

That is exactly how I quilt. I moved into a small place when we moved back up here from OK and I no longer had a room I could set up my floor frame in. I use a lap frame until we get a bigger place and I can set my floor frame up again.

It's great to see someone who shares the same techniques as me. I LOVE your templates. I'm hoping to find a store that sells them since most everything has something to do with Machine quilting or FMQ and no one uses these awesome templates around here anymore.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast