Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hand Quilting in Floor Frame

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    Quote Originally Posted by GayleM
    I am a handquilter also. Question: Do you always stencil once the quilt is on the frame, or while the top is on a table? I am currently working on a queen size and marked it while it was on a table top. Used a pouncer with iron-off chalk but the marks seem rather faint after mounting on the frame.
    Over the years, i guess i have tried just about every type of marking tool there is. and, like u, i have tried marking the whole quilt before starting to quilt it. and half would be worn off before i got to it, and would have to remark. so, now i mark as i go. most quilts will have centering points in each block, that will tell u stencil is in right place. and most of the time we r just straight line quilting, so u can tape as u go.
    After trying all types of markers, i have settled on the [email protected] I ordered mine from Keepsake quilting It came in a medal box. And the refils r not expensive and last a long time.
    Also, there is no waste, you can put more than one piece of lead in, and the second one will push the first one all the way through so that u can use all of it. Also, i have never had a mark not come out in the washing. It has always been easy to find a marker easy to see on light material, but harder to see on dark, and the white lead for this pencil works great.
    Thanks for sharing the info. I believe I will have to remark as I go since my eyes aren't as young as they used to be! My husband is from the Ashville area in NC. I'm trying to get him interested in quiting but so far he's only assisted getting quilts on the frame. Oh well - gotta start somewhere! Thanks again Ninnie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    That is exactly how I quilt. I moved into a small place when we moved back up here from OK and I no longer had a room I could set up my floor frame in. I use a lap frame until we get a bigger place and I can set my floor frame up again.

It's great to see someone who shares the same techniques as me. I LOVE your templates. I'm hoping to find a store that sells them since most everything has something to do with Machine quilting or FMQ and no one uses these awesome templates around here anymore.
    i love stencils, and i do confess, i have several, lol. here is the link to where a lot of mine came from they r very reasonable priced, and hold up well

http://quiltingstencils.com/
    I have never seen another collection like it! Those are fantastic! I bookmarked it and am already creating a wish list. Those are even good to mark for the basic machine quilting I do! Oh the possibilities. Thanks so much!

~M~

Blog Entries
    I Have never done such a large hand quilting and it amazes me what you do just to prep it for quilting. It really is Beautiful. Thank you for showing me

Blog Entries
    A great tutorial. You make it look easy, makes me want to try!

Blog Entries
    I am going to bring my frame up from the basement and try once again. Your tute was very helpful. I guess I have been thinking too large an area instead of breaking it down into smaller sections. Thanks.

thanks so much for taking the time to educate/illustrate !!

someday i'll get the nerve up to handquilt. i think its a wonderful tradition!!

Blog Entries
    How terrific of you to show this! I am a hand quilter (so far) and have always quilted in a hoop. Someone gave me an antique quilting frame, and though I have no idea how to set it up, I am anxious to try it. Thanks for sharing!

When I was a young woman and went to the quilting bee at church, all they let me do was thread needles. I would thread needles constantly and give it to the women to quilt with, they knew I could not do the quilting on the frame. I tried once and it was too hard. Your quilt looks great, thanks for the tute.

Beautiful quilting. My stitches are not as small as yours. I haven't gotten that good at handquilting,

It is going to be beautiful when you get it finished. Please show pictures when you are done.

THANK YOU so very much for taking the time to post this Ninnie. You are such an inspiration!

Blog Entries
    Your hand work is stunning. I tried to hand quilt once, but with the MS, I don't have the control or strength. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbere15
    Your hand work is stunning. I tried to hand quilt once, but with the MS, I don't have the control or strength. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.
    thank you for posting, and congratulations on your weight loss!

Thanks for this great tutorial. I have been wanting to try hand quilting and you have made it look like I might actually be able to do it.

quiltingstencils .com is an awesome site :thumbup: I've come to the conclusion that I am no free hand quilter. Not even meandering! I have decided to use stencils for EVERYTHING - and finally accomplish something that looks half way near decent. I'm so disgusted today, I shouldn't even be online :thumbdown: So I'll get off.

Quote Originally Posted by majormom
    quiltingstencils .com is an awesome site :thumbup: I've come to the conclusion that I am no free hand quilter. Not even meandering! I have decided to use stencils for EVERYTHING - and finally accomplish something that looks half way near decent. I'm so disgusted today, I shouldn't even be online :thumbdown: So I'll get off.
    i had to just giggle when reading this. I have had so many days like this, sewing a seam wrong, twice lol, or cutting out 30 squares, only to find out they were 1/2 in too small. And , after throwing temper tantrum, driving 1 1/2 hrs back to fabric shop to buy more material. And i do admit, i have not conquered machine quilting yet, lol. Sometimes we just have to walk away, and try again later.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbere15
    Chuck, I use this nifty tool I bought at Harbor Freight for $1.50, it is a pair of needle nosed pliers that have a turned up end, and are spring loaded. I got a pair at Tractor Supply also.

I push the needle through and then use the pliers to pull it out. It works well and there is no stress on my hands or wrists. Try it!

GREAT job!! Thank you SEW much for posting, Ninnie. :)

Gal
    Great tut, thank you, up to now I have only quilted in straight lines, seeing how you do your stencil patterns, I am definately going to try this now.

Gal

Ninnie, I was not a member when you started the whole tutorial. But when I clicked on your post tonight I went back to the beginning and read all. I want to add my thanks to the others for taking the time to share your method. You explained the steps so well, I understood everything you presented. I've never seen anyone quilt from start to finish so this was very enlightening to me. So many tips I hope I can remember.(of course I bookmarked in case I can't) I plan to start my first quilt this week so your first "episode" about cutting and chain sewing and organizing in plastic baggies will be helpful to me right away. jean

Wow thanks am about to do my first one.

I am fairly new to handquilting - what type of batting do you use? What's the best?

Quote Originally Posted by SandraD
    I am fairly new to handquilting - what type of batting do you use? What's the best?

i like using Hobbs 100% cotton batting. i usually use the unbleached, unless i am having a white backing, and then i will use the white. I love the way it feels when u needle it. and i like the old fashioned look of a hand quilted quilt after it has been washed. I only use all cotton in my tops also. and i use cotton covered poly quilting thread usually, but using an all cotton thread for this one. There have been sever debates on which brand of thread is the best. I have almost always used [email protected]
    However, if u r making a wall hanging, and want it to stand out more, u can use a high-loft poly batting
    I started a wall hanging today lol and that is what i am using for the batting

Smack dab between Dallas and Tyler, Texas
    Great to see your posting again. You are an inspiration. Wishing you continued quilting success.
    Love your scrappy quilt.

Blog Entries
    Is there any reason the stencil markings couldn't also be
    used for machine quilting, using a walking foot?
    Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast