Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Confetti Quilt Instructor (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/confetti-quilt-instructor-t151104.html)

jand635 09-08-2011 08:21 AM

More info for you-- Yes, a video or download will be coming on the heels of the Rented video. I'm going as fast as I can! LOL I know different types of learners need different modes of learning.

No, you don't need a long arm to quilt this. In fact, I recommend against it. The longarms that I have seen cause the quilt to bounce, just a little and that would be all it takes to ruin your piece.

Yes, backing goes down first, batting on top, now design/picture.

I use invisible thread/nylon/translucent. The stuff that looks like spider web it is so fine. You want the quilting to be secondary to the picture and not take away. There are too many colors in these things to be able match the thread.

I know the technique is not new. I made confetti pictures in grade school for heavens sake! I know about Noriko Endo but I did not know about Shelly Berge. I will go see if she has anything online.

Thank you all soooo much. I have been toying with the idea of a video for several months. You'll tipped me over the edge and I thank you.

jand635 09-08-2011 08:28 AM

I missed a question or y'all are posting faster than I can type!

Tulle and pins hold it together while you quilt it BUT you MUST keep it flat. That means you need an extended bed on your machine or some way to keep it all flat.

My video will give you some ideas about how to do that cheaply if you haven't got an extended bed.

fivepaws 09-08-2011 09:09 AM

OMG. I can not wait for your video. I am sure you will be hounded by one and all until it is ready. Really exciting. Thank you.

penski 09-08-2011 09:36 AM

wow cant wait to see the video !!! thank you

greaterexp 09-08-2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by jand635

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Ah, I was wondering how you got the tiny pieces - also, I presume you chop them all up separately - what do you store them in?

I suppose what I really need to know what size of fabric would you chop up for a usable amount of confetti.

Hello-
No! I don't chop each piece one at a time. I use my rotary cutter to go back and forth over the fabric till it is all chopped up. I store the confetti in zip locs or in old egg cartons.
I can't tell you how much to chop up without seeing the picture you will be making. It doesn't take much. a 12 inch square makes a lot of confetti. By the way, I am making a video to rent about this method. Stay tuned.

I'll be tickled pink to see this video!

pjnesler 09-08-2011 12:22 PM

bet your class is great, will be nice to see more on this subject!

Rose Bagwell 09-08-2011 12:39 PM

Love, love this idea, any specific batting ?

jand635 09-08-2011 01:51 PM

No special batting. I use what ever scraps I happen to have lying around from other projects. I will say that it needs to be on the thin side.

CactusFlower 09-08-2011 01:58 PM

very exciting to see & even think about making one!

JANW 09-08-2011 02:12 PM

I'm very anxious to try this as well, thanks for making it available.
Janw1