Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/machine-stitched-cathedral-window-tutorial-t35742.html)

Chele 02-06-2010 02:50 AM

Thanks for the great tutorial, Eddie! I've always loved cathedral windows.

Sandra Craig 02-06-2010 11:48 AM

thank you for the easy to understand instructions my mother made one about 25 years ago by machine but she didn't remember how she did it I want to try it

D'Marie 02-07-2010 09:48 AM

Eddie, I was amazed that you did quilting to start out with and now to find out you're doing a tutorial for a CW, blows me away. It's great. I'll be with you every step of the way. I did a CW pillow but I have never attempted to do a quilt. I didn't know this could be done on the sewing machine. My mother-in-law made a CW quilt but she did it all by hand.I'm interested in how it's done by machine ,so I can do one myself. Thanks bunches for doing this. I'm an old gal but I can still learn something new.

D'Marie 02-07-2010 10:32 AM

Hey, fellow you did a good job and you even taught this old dog new tricks.You made it look so simple.I just might make this my next project.Thanks for showing us women a few things.

Rainbow 02-07-2010 12:18 PM

Aside for "a lot"....how much background material do you but for a twin, double, queen and king quilt??

Rainbow 02-07-2010 12:18 PM

Aside for "a lot"....how much background material do you but for a twin, double, queen and king quilt??

Eddie 02-07-2010 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rainbow

It depends on the size of your finished blocks since smaller blocks will take more material. But assuming a 4" finished size block and a twin size of 60" x 80", the math works out like this:

60" quilt width / 4" block size = 15 block width
80" quilt length / 4" block size = 20 block length
15 block width x 20 block length = 300 blocks

Using an 8.75" raw block size to make those 4" blocks, you can get 5 blocks from a single cut width of fabric (WOF).

300 blocks / 5 per WOF strip = 60 WOF strips needed
60 WOF strips * 8.75" each = 525 linear inches of fabric needed
525" of fabric / 36" per yard = 14.58 yards of fabric

So about 15 yards of background fabric for a twin size quilt.

Rainbow 02-07-2010 06:23 PM

THANK YOU..... This give me the general idea of what I need.....LOVE IT !!!! LOVE IT !!!!

DeeDeeW 02-12-2010 06:24 PM

You did a great job and your instructions are very well done. I like to be shown how to do things and that was great. Maybe I will try that in a couple of months I got a few other things to do first. Thanks again. Dee

Quilter2B 02-22-2010 08:21 AM

That is absolutely fabulous. I've always thought these would be too difficult to accomplish; they are so beautiful. Your tut is so clear and understandable! Thanks for all the pics; they help soo much. Beautiful choice of colors. Maybe I'll try a small one for a table topper or even some placemats; wouldn't those be beautiful?!?