Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html)

polejumper21 09-26-2011 05:24 PM

thank you! fromthenestdesigns

fromthenestdesigns 09-26-2011 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by polejumper21
thank you! fromthenestdesigns

You are welcome!
Robin

Nimble Thimble 09-27-2011 02:54 AM

Thank-you This is the pattern. Have a wonderful day. Nimble Thimble

lots2do 09-27-2011 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
I don't have enough scraps for a quilt but I think I will try this as a scrappy pillow, just making a strip from what I have in 2.5 inch width.

I did a mockup of the jellyroll with paper strips and I just cannot see how the quilt can fail to have the same fabrics adjacent to one another, which always draws the eye and would annoy me. It is really guaranteed with this method because of the folding, although if you chose carefully which side of the strip to sew, you can limit it a bit.

Fromthenest, are you SURE you didnt cheat a little on yours?!! I can't understand how your colour distribution came out so well!

I did do some ripping and rearranging on the top I've been working on because this did happen to me. I really didn't mind spending the extra time since my eye went right to those two spots. I'd like to try a scrappy one with no two fabrics just for fun, some time.

burnsk 09-27-2011 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by polejumper21
here is mine..some same colors touching , I would be more careful on the next one..but I still like this one. Not sure how to quilt it yet..

I like your quilt. Your colors touching give it a personality of its own. Sometimes when the colors touch it just gives it an unappealing look but yours doesn't. I like it.

polejumper21 09-28-2011 04:25 AM

Thanks burnsk..it was fun to make and I am starting on another one this weekend..

Honey58 09-28-2011 07:33 AM

Thanks for sharing ...am a beginner and this one seems within my scope rt now.

AnnieF 09-28-2011 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
I think this is this the "Lasagna Quilt" so much has been said about on the Stashbusters Yahoo group. Have been wanting to try one.

Yes, this is in essence the "lasagna quilt". I never made one, but my friend did and she said it was so tedious....sewing a row, cutting it off, sewing another roll.....this technique does away with all of that.....I saw it here, and my quilting ministry group did it at our annual quilt away weekend. There was some initial whining because sewing the long strips is tedious, but it gets shorter as you go along and suddenly you have a quilt top. We had 4 of us who made a second quilt top. The second time, I didn't use a jelly roll, but pulled the same amount of strips out of my leftover binding bins and put them together....it looked great! I have a 3rd and 4th quilt in me....until the binding is gone!

Dena789 10-01-2011 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Maurene
I suppose I could make jelly-roll strips by stacking and whacking all sorts of scraps -- just line them up on a rotary mat, get out the plastic ruler and whack? 2 1/2" strips?
I live in Canada - don't think we have jelly roll producers here - mailing costs double the prices of everything!

There are lots of quilt stores who carry jelly rolls. Check locally. I can even get them here in small town Alberta! (Canada)

Just-Lee 10-03-2011 09:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just made this quilt, but my center is much bigger than the example given here. It's 72" x 64", but it is 32 strips wide??? I was hoping it would be a bit more rectangle...what would you do to it?