Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: quick way to create half square triangles

I love the idea of this method. I am just getting ready to do a quilt called Annie's Choice which is all half square triangles. The directions are as follows for the HST - Stack your two strips of fabric, with right sides together and all edges aligned. Mark the 3-7/8" squares and then mark the diagonals in the direction shown. Sew a SCANT 1/4" away from the marked diagonal lines, starting in the upper left corner and sewing in one continuous seam to the upper right corner. Then pivot it and sew back the other way on the other side of the line. Now cut this apart ON the marked diagonals and at the 3-7/8" square marks. This will give you sixteen half squares. Press seam allowances towards darker fabric. Trim to measure 3-1/2" if needed. Ok, my question is: can I use the method y'all are explaining here or do I need to follow the directions given? If I do like y'all are doing then do I need to cut my fabric different or can I still cut in the strips the indicate at the 3 7/8ths and still get the needed 3 1/2" finished size? Would be awesome to be able to do it the way explained in your tutorial if possible.

To newbie in OK -- where do you live in OK? I live in Midwest City and if you are nearby, I'd be happy to give to give you any help I can with quilting

Has anyone ever seen this method? I LOVE it! Have to buy some templates but nothing stretches. My daughter found them at http://templatetechniques.com/a quilt show.

Quote Originally Posted by karate lady
    Quote Originally Posted by oma66
    I am sure that most of you have seen this method of creating half square triangles, but perhaps those new to quilting have not. the pictures below, I hope, show how it is done very clearly. I made enough half square triangles for a full size quilt in one long afternoon - that includes cutting, sewing, ironing and squaring up the blocks.
    thanks this is a big help. but what kind of starch do you use????? spray???
    I use sizing instead of starch. I don't get the build up like I did with starch.

lue
    You have just restored my faith that I may be able to finish a couple of quilts for my children for Christmas! (Well...at least tops of quilts). THANKS for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by karate lady
    I am sure that most of you have seen this method of creating half square triangles, but perhaps those new to quilting have not. the pictures below, I hope, show how it is done very clearly. I made enough half square triangles for a full size quilt in one long afternoon - that includes cutting, sewing, ironing and squaring up the blocks.
    thanks this is a big help. but what kind of starch do you use????? spray???
    I use sizing instead of starch. I don't get the build up like I did with starch.
    what kind of sizing and where do I get it... sorry I am really new with this. smile

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the demo. I had heard of this but had never really thought about using it. Now I will. Thanks again.

that's great.

That's awesome!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast