Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My new-to-me vintage machine, made in post-war Japan >

My new-to-me vintage machine, made in post-war Japan

My new-to-me vintage machine, made in post-war Japan

Old 01-19-2017, 02:41 PM

Default My new-to-me vintage machine, made in post-war Japan

Hi friends, a newbie here. I just purchased a vintage machine that appears to be a Singer class 15 clone, made in Japan perhaps in the '50's or '60's. It is a Crown, with no information about it available on the google. It is very similar to the sewing machine my mother had when I was a child, and on which I learned to sew. At this time, the machine is dirty and the electrical wiring is crumbling, so that a clean-up and re-wire is the first order of business. Let's see if I can post a photo:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566134[/ATTACH]

If any of you have any pointers for me, I would very much appreciate any help you could offer. Thanks!

Sandy
Attached Thumbnails dsc01648_resize.jpg  
Old 01-19-2017, 03:55 PM

ooOooo pretty. love that green striping. They are good sturdy machines, it should make a perfect straight for as long as you are upright at the pedal

edited to add: welcome to the Board and Vintage machines. Read back through the threads in this forum, you have a doctorate when you get to the end. Welcome!
Old 01-19-2017, 06:45 PM

Very pretty! I have one that is really similar, but it's at a friend's house so I don't know if it's the same. The Singer 15 is a lovely sturdy machine, so I'll bet yours will be too!
Old 01-20-2017, 05:28 PM

The machine looks like it has been cared for. It's very pretty.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:25 PM

Beautiful little machine! I like the green stripes, too!
Old 01-21-2017, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sandy R View Post
If any of you have any pointers for me, I would very much appreciate any help you could offer. Thanks!

Sandy
Welcome Sandy,
Yes, you have a 15 clone badged machine. Does it have any JA or JC numbers or names on the underside?
Joe Miller's Sewmatic/Hother 15 clone has green decals and evidently was made by Juki without any JA or JC numbers per page 3 of the first link below.
There are lots of threads here about the 15 clones, such as:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t207416.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t169127.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t207877.html
These are just a few of the many on this board that relate to the 15 clone machines

There is a manual at http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ion-manual.pdf that would apply to your machine.

Have fun and as KalamaQuilts said "read back through the threads in this forum, you have a doctorate when you get to the end."

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:55 AM

I have a similar machine purchased at an estate sale. What got my attention was the "Cadillac" decal on it. My repairman said it is a Singer and he repaired the wiring and checked it over for me. I have not tried it since. I always have admired Cadillac (cars) and now at least I have my very own (Cadillac sewing machine). lol Mine is black.

When I checked it out the information I found that they made these Singer "clones" in Japan and distributed them to car dealers or manufacturers to attach their own advertisement label to. And, yes this was after the war.

Last edited by misskitty5; 01-21-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: correction
Old 01-21-2017, 09:13 PM

Pretty and I am sure it will sew like a dream! I love the vintage machines! They sew so nice?
Old 01-22-2017, 05:08 AM

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I've spent some time the last few days cleaning, oiling and re-wiring this cutie, and reading all the posts I can find about machines like this. This forum is an excellent resource! Thank you all so much! Here are pictures of my work-in-progress:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566411[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566412[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566413[/ATTACH]

The re-wire of the motor gave me the most problems, but the motor now runs well and doesn't threaten to electrocute me LOL. Sew Classic was the source for the new parts. They had everything I needed, although I think I bought the wrong belt size (too big). They are now my go-to place for parts, for my other machine as well (Singer Touch & Sew).
Attached Thumbnails dsc01660.jpg   dsc01662.jpg   dsc01668.jpg