Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
1901 Singer 27K2 Convertible Hand Crank/Treadle >

1901 Singer 27K2 Convertible Hand Crank/Treadle

1901 Singer 27K2 Convertible Hand Crank/Treadle

Old 01-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Banned

that's cool, how about pics of the tension?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
that's cool, how about pics of the tension?
Thanks Steve. Sorry about the washed-out photo. I changed to a different check spring and that problem solved itself. Evidently, the other spring has a little bend in it or something. This one is working with all of the parts in the correct position.

I put a new 3/16” leather belt on the treadle, and everything works just fine. I’ll wait until it’s dark outside to take more photos. We have the machine in front of a window and I can’t get clear photos.

I was really curious as to how the belt path worked with the extended bobbin winder shaft. It appears to me that the belt goes behind the shaft for treadle operation, and then the bobbin winder is pushed forward to wind a bobbin with either the treadle or the hand attachment. I don’t think that the belt is supposed to rub on the shaft at any time, but just barely clear it. Power to the BW should be through the tire on the balance wheel rim with either power source. I may have this backwards, so I’ll try to get some clear photos of that area later too.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine552_23a.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
.....I still need to ....get a leaf support put on it .... and then the treadle table will be in shape to use. CD in Oklahoma
I spotted a replacement drop-down leaf extension and a leaf support on that auction site and bought it. Comparing the finish on the two leaves, the replacement is just a bit darker, but mine has a large smear of blue paint on it, so I can put up with the darker leaf. I’m hoping to swap leaves with no mounting issues (like mis-matching screw holes).

The drawer hanger piece that the leaf support mounts on has a split in it but no wood missing, so I’m hoping that I can glue that back together strong enough to avoid further damage.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 02-01-2014, 11:26 AM

I have the leaf support installed on the cabinet now. Hopefully, my wood glue job will hold up and keep the screws tight. It looks good so far. I went ahead and put the replacement leaf on, even though it’s a little darker than the original. Besides the large smear of blue paint on the original, the lacquer is cracking in several places. The finish on the replacement leaf is in much better condition, so I’m going with it. I wouldn’t be surprised to find a difference in tone between the top and leaf on a drop-leaf cabinet anyway, since they each can be subjected to different amounts of sunlight, as well as different amounts of usage.

While I had the cabinet in the bikeshop, I decided to fish the button out of the cover front brass latch opening imbedded in the top. I doubt that I will ever lock it, but the button doesn’t need to be in there anyway. Imagine my surprise when digging the dirt out that was tightly packed into the fitting under the button, and discovered “the family jewels” hidden in the mix. It is 5 stones mounted in a sew-on metal setting, and they certainly look “precious” to me. Heck of a place to hide your diamonds, but I guess it worked......

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine552t_20.jpg   machine552t_22.jpg  
Old 10-08-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
It’s Singer Hand Attachment 81712 and accompanying Bobbin Winder 81717. I believe that there’s a different wrap-around hand attachment for the early Singer 15 Class of machines, but I don’t know what its number is.

CD in Oklahoma
Does anyone know where I can get a wrap around hand crank for a model 27 part number 81712? thanks
Old 10-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a wrap around hand crank for a model 27 part number 81712? thanks
If I did I know where it would be...
Old 10-08-2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
If I did I know where it would be...
lol,me too