Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My 1901 ? White treadle sewing machine >

My 1901 ? White treadle sewing machine

My 1901 ? White treadle sewing machine

Old 08-26-2019, 11:21 AM

Default My 1901 ? White treadle sewing machine

As of yesterday im the very very proud owner of a white treadle sewing machine and its gorgious cabinet.
I have a lot of qn's and i hope to find some answers here.
The serial is 69074
On the baseplate the patent #'s are last one april 10 1900 knowing that the next patent came in 16 july 1901 does this make my machine being build in 1900/1901 ?

I do not in anyway want to restore my beauty, but preserve and make her pretty again and enjoying patina however i do want to use her.

How to clean the cabinet as it's full of dust and grime en some gunk on the top plate.
Now i used a damp cloth to give it a clean and it looks so much better, but now the tricky part is to revamp the wood.

Is the wood used from the cabinet, oak ?

How can i remove the gime/gunk thats on the wooden topplate is that with wood oil just by soaking in and then gently removing it.

Than with 0000 steel wool gently rubbing all over the cabinet preparing it for wood oil i like this man (sorry it's dutch only) but he's selling nature products only no chemicals at all.
https://www.hout-olie.nl/contents/nl...ijke_olie.html
Due to the fact that Howard restore and finish is not for sale here i prefer to buy from him but if there is good advice to go the Howards way i get it in the UK so feel free to let me know

There is some rust on the frame and how do i remove that as evaporust must be dipped in which is not possible and gel like products like Rustico have some effect on the paint i know from a previous hobby so that i dont want to use
Also can the frame be cleaned by using these wood oils

Also a couple of bobbins would be nice as they are kinda unique for white if i have read that correctly, but i guess ebay is my friend
Machine oil just trusted brands with no resin or acids and than go save on the machine.
Is it necessary to completely take the machine apart i mean dive all the way in or clean it from the outside as best as one get and leave the rest alone.

I'm sure more qn's will come to my mind,but i look forward seeing your reply's
Oh i forgot there also was a white pressure feet box with according to me brandnew feet exactly like this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-VINT...AAAOSwvfpcKupo
Old 08-26-2019, 07:24 PM

Welcome. Nice machine.

Some good links for cleaning machines and wood can be found at
How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ts-t97670.html
Cleaning and Reviving furniture(Sewing cabinets)

I'm not sure if the ingredients are called the same as in the last of the above links. I know the last link above is very good. I have been pleased with just wiping down with Glenn's formula on the wood I have tried it on.

I don't remember if the first link covers wood, but seems like just the machine.

A suggestion would be not to take the "nose" apart if possible. It isn't like Singers and other. From what I've read has been a problem getting back together properly.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:08 AM

thanks Jany, I will dive into these links One q'n that remains is is the cabinet made from oak wood If yes than the dutch oil guy told me that never use steelwool on oak as the small particles that come from the steelwool wil create black spots in the oak when oiling it. That's why i need to know about the wood.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:42 AM

She is a beauty. Depending on how much restoration you want to do will determine what tools you will need. I would start by taking the machine head out of the cabinet as each piece will require a different amount of time to completely restore. The machine does look like you can get it back in working order without to much difficulty. It all starts with a good oiling and lubrication. The cabinet may not need much more than a good shinning up. You will have to be the judge of that one. I use a substance called 'navel jelly' on the rusted areas first it gently removes the rust. Oil well the joints on the steel framework. Then go from there. Others here are very well versed on helping you to achieve what you want.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:45 AM

YOu may know already, but the screw in front of the pillar by the belt secures the front of the head to the case. Once you unscrew it you should be able to rock the head back on the hinges for routine service. However, in you case you'll need to undo the set screws at those hinges to be able to take the head out for a full oiling. oil everything that moves..or should. You shouldn't need to disassemble it much at all. Using water over the decals can turn the gold to sliver. I won't get near water with my machines. There are folks who swear by specialty lubes, but I generally use sewing machine oil for everything on a treadle. Some motors take grease.
I wouldn't use wood oil on metal.

Be gentle with it.. patience is a huge key on these. oil it and wiggle every day may be necessary. hair dryer heat can also loosen up dried oils.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:51 AM

I would recommend using Murphy's Oil Soap (on the cabinet) to clean the cabinet. Use a soft cloth first. It will clean the wood enough that you can determine what to do next. Do not use steel wool on wood, rather a fine grit poly (like on the back of scrubby sponges) if some of the grime does not come off. Sorry, can't help with the cleaning of the machine - not in my experience as I don't have any with a White.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-28-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-28-2019, 06:41 PM

I don't know woods. I think some of the early Singer cabinets were available in oak as well as some other woods. Actually, at Cleaning and Reviving furniture(Sewing cabinets) Glenn says to only use 0000 steel wool on hard to clean areas, You might try his method, as he suggests, with old denim jeans.

From what I've been able to tell the equivalents for the UK for Glenn's cleaning solutions are:
White vinegar = distilled white vinegar? available on amazon.uk?? or Polish supermarket?
Mineral Spirits = White spirit, Varsol, Stoddard solvent
Denatured Alcohol = methylated spirit or denatured rectified spirit
Household Ammonia = actually just a few drops are called for and I think could easily be omitted
Boiled Linseed Oil = I think is the same

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:44 AM

Everybody thanks so much for the info given i will get into this in the upcoming days and take your advice into practice. It's much appreciated and i keep you all informed on the progress.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:21 PM

Oh My Goodness - I have searched for this machine everywhere. I have the same machine and have not been able to date it. Im not home at the moment but I remember enough of the serial to know that it is similar to yours.

Where did you find the date info for this machine -
This machine is so special to me as it was my great aunt’s and I want to clean and restore it to use.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-25-2019 at 02:22 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-29-2020, 04:45 AM

Well to be honest dating was based on pix on the internet and seeing the diffirences between mine but mostly the patent #'s on the machine which made it all work for me.

I love mine the only thing im after is a original manual.