View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 11:21 AM
45ac13c

Default My 1901 ? White treadle sewing machine

As of yesterday im the very very proud owner of a white treadle sewing machine and its gorgious cabinet.
I have a lot of qn's and i hope to find some answers here.
The serial is 69074
On the baseplate the patent #'s are last one april 10 1900 knowing that the next patent came in 16 july 1901 does this make my machine being build in 1900/1901 ?

I do not in anyway want to restore my beauty, but preserve and make her pretty again and enjoying patina however i do want to use her.

How to clean the cabinet as it's full of dust and grime en some gunk on the top plate.
Now i used a damp cloth to give it a clean and it looks so much better, but now the tricky part is to revamp the wood.

Is the wood used from the cabinet, oak ?

How can i remove the gime/gunk thats on the wooden topplate is that with wood oil just by soaking in and then gently removing it.

Than with 0000 steel wool gently rubbing all over the cabinet preparing it for wood oil i like this man (sorry it's dutch only) but he's selling nature products only no chemicals at all.
https://www.hout-olie.nl/contents/nl...ijke_olie.html
Due to the fact that Howard restore and finish is not for sale here i prefer to buy from him but if there is good advice to go the Howards way i get it in the UK so feel free to let me know

There is some rust on the frame and how do i remove that as evaporust must be dipped in which is not possible and gel like products like Rustico have some effect on the paint i know from a previous hobby so that i dont want to use
Also can the frame be cleaned by using these wood oils

Also a couple of bobbins would be nice as they are kinda unique for white if i have read that correctly, but i guess ebay is my friend
Machine oil just trusted brands with no resin or acids and than go save on the machine.
Is it necessary to completely take the machine apart i mean dive all the way in or clean it from the outside as best as one get and leave the rest alone.

I'm sure more qn's will come to my mind,but i look forward seeing your reply's
Oh i forgot there also was a white pressure feet box with according to me brandnew feet exactly like this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-VINT...AAAOSwvfpcKupo