201 vs 15-91

Old 03-11-2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
I use my 15 daily. The 15-91 just seems louder and it isn't such a pleasure to sew on because of the noise.
really?! my 15-91 is nearly silent compared to my Bernette 720 and my 401.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by foufymaus View Post
really?! my 15-91 is nearly silent compared to my Bernette 720 and my 401.
Oil does wonders
Old 03-11-2015, 12:37 PM

I have a 201 which I haven't yet gotten to use, because 98% of her decals are there. The shellac clear coat has aged and is really looking dry so I've decided that she needs to have her shellac refurbished BEFORE I use her. With comments on "heavy" fabric, etc., I can't resist adding that I have a 328K (1963 vintage) that I've used for just about anything -- a few years ago, I tore down a love seat piece of furniture I had been give, stripped it all the way to its hand-tied springs and completely re-did it from the frame up. Also, I sewed upholstery material, many times 4+ thicknesses to redo the cushion covers with piping/cording at the edges of the cushions. My 328 never once faltered and the love seat sits in my great room today. Never under estimate the power of these vintage machines! They're terrific!

Jeanette
Old 03-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I have a 201 which I haven't yet gotten to use, because 98% of her decals are there. The shellac clear coat has aged and is really looking dry so I've decided that she needs to have her shellac refurbished BEFORE I use her. With comments on "heavy" fabric, etc., I can't resist adding that I have a 328K (1963 vintage) that I've used for just about anything -- a few years ago, I tore down a love seat piece of furniture I had been give, stripped it all the way to its hand-tied springs and completely re-did it from the frame up. Also, I sewed upholstery material, many times 4+ thicknesses to redo the cushion covers with piping/cording at the edges of the cushions. My 328 never once faltered and the love seat sits in my great room today. Never under estimate the power of these vintage machines! They're terrific!

Jeanette
I forgot - I have a couple of those around here, too. I really like them - some people are worried about noise - I guess I like the sound of a vintage machine and every one of them is so much quieter than an industrial machine.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:33 AM

Jeanette
Will you repair the shellac yourself, or have it done? Where would one go for this type of service?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:05 AM

My brain has too much space dedicated to music even though I can barely sing anymore. The 15 is more musical. But, I did give the 15-91 some love via oil and grease after I posted. Maybe I missed something the first time because she sounds better. Her decals are nearly perfect but the inside of machine has taken a lot of cleaning. Go figure!
Old 03-12-2015, 07:22 AM

With not having experience with a 15 or any particular knowledge, it's easy to understand missing an oil point. I've been working on a Minnesota Model A (for my cousin in Arkansas) and although the machine operated very quietly, I discovered, while reading post on her, that I had missed an important oiling port containing a wick which I suppose distributes the oil as needed. But, the thread on this Board saved me from making a horrible mistake, which could have been, but was not, very bad!

I have not been a "collector" of machines, but I have a "collection" mostly acquired for me by my son! I think there's something like 9 or 10 machines, a couple of which I'm not sure what they are! LOL!, I have a white FW, a Singer 328K, Singer 201, 2 Singer 750, Singer 403A, Singer 1425, and what started my decline to Sewing Machine Addiction Disease, was a National Two Spool Treadle. The Minnesota Model A is a machine in progress for my cousin in Arkansas. I cannot possibly buy any more machines, because if I do, I'm going to have to sleep in the car! LOL!

Jeanette

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 03-12-2015 at 07:27 AM. Reason: additional content
Old 03-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I have not been a "collector" of machines, but I have a "collection" mostly acquired for me by my son! I think . I cannot possibly buy any more machines, because if I do, I'm going to have to sleep in the car! LOL!

Jeanette
Jeanette,
The sewing machines would probably follow you to your car....