301A Bobbin Holder Trouble

Old 03-09-2016, 04:42 AM

Default 301A Bobbin Holder Trouble

I have a Singer 301A that I dearly love for how it sews perfect stitches. What I hate is having to change bobbins because I have such trouble getting the bobbin holder back onto the machine. There are time when I just have to walk away and leave it....for weeks at a time. Is there a trick to it??
Old 03-09-2016, 04:59 AM

If it is hard to push back, might a drop of oil help?
Old 03-09-2016, 05:09 AM

My 301 can be that way , too. What I find helps is to hold the bobbin left hand, with the ( not technical term here) flapper handle thingy horizontal and opened out. If the Bobbin receiver isn't aligned perfectly to accept the bobbin, frustration ensues. Before you pull the old bobbin, check the alignment. If the bobbin case isn't horizontal, put some scrap fabric under the foot. Carefully advance the hand wheel, turning towards you until the bobbin case comes back to horizontal. Then remove the case and bobbin.

My 301 is in the card table, sometimes I think it would be easier to change bobbins if I lifted it out of the table, and movedit to the left edge where I can access and see the bobbin assembly easier. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:22 AM

Mine sits on top of a table and I have no issues changing the bobbin.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:29 AM

Another hint: I have several difficult bobbin machines. I place my machine on a large quilted place mat I made.

When I have to change the bobbin I just grab the place mat and turn the machine so that I can easily get to the bobbin area. No more bending my body at odd angles torking my neck around and twisting my poor senior citizen hands and wrists into odd angles. When done I just swing the place mat and machine back into place.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:57 AM
Banned

Over the years I've often read where people had difficulties changing the bobbin in a machine that takes a vertical bobbin case. I never understood that as I've never had an issue with any of my machines. My mom and I were talking about this one day and it finally dawned on me - my mom is right handed and I'm left handed. IMO it's only natural that a left handed person would have an easier time inserting a bobbin case because of where they go into a machine.
I basically do what WIChix does, hold the lever out with one finger while putting the bobbin case into position, just going by feel that it's in place. Once it's in place I let go of the lever.

Cari
Old 03-09-2016, 05:01 PM

Thank you Cari-in-Oly. It certainly make sense. I am right handed, but was born left-handed. Mom changed me, but I can now use either hand. Thanks Mom. It is much easer to change the bobbin of the 301 with the left hand. Follow the great instructions previously given. Hold the latch and gently and try the position. When it is exactly horizontal, you will feel a tiny "click" and that means the bobbin is in the correct position and locked in. You are in business. If you don't feel that very tiny click, then reposition to absolutely horizontal and then you should feel it. If the bobbin is not locked in and you didn't feel the click, it will spit the bobbin, case and all out, and you will have a mess. It is a bit of a bother, but it is such a great machine, that it is worth it. New bobbin cases are getting very expensive, so take very good care of yours. They may, or already be, remanufactured, but they won't be as good as the originals. You can get a new oil pan felt from Sew-Classic. com for a very nominal price, way under $5 that others charge. I keep one on hand, because you never know when they will become hard or impossible to find. You can of course make one, if it comes to that. This machine is so much easier to use and more forgiving than the Featherweight sisters. Sew on.
Donna

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 03-09-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:43 PM

I used to hold the latch open and always had problems. The instructions with a newer machine said to keep it closed. Now I do that and ease it in till I hear a click. It seems to work better for me.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:24 PM

I think all the advice already given is right on. 301's are such great machines; don't give up. The older I've gotten, the more comfortable I've become with use either left of right hand. I'm naturally r. handed. Using the left hand to insert the bobbin is what's needed. As you become more adept at it, you'll forget the frustrations you used to have.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Over the years I've often read where people had difficulties changing the bobbin in a machine that takes a vertical bobbin case. I never understood that as I've never had an issue with any of my machines. My mom and I were talking about this one day and it finally dawned on me - my mom is right handed and I'm left handed. IMO it's only natural that a left handed person would have an easier time inserting a bobbin case because of where they go into a machine.
I basically do what WIChix does, hold the lever out with one finger while putting the bobbin case into position, just going by feel that it's in place. Once it's in place I let go of the lever.

Cari
I just realized something -- although I am right-handed, I always use my left hand to insert the bobbin into the holder -- my 301A problem is the tension dial doesn't stay, it loosens the tension as I sew. I have replaced it because the one that came on the machine was missing a retainer ring, but I am still having the problem.