Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Newbie: Singer 1200 knee lift mechanism >

Newbie: Singer 1200 knee lift mechanism

Newbie: Singer 1200 knee lift mechanism

Old 03-10-2016, 10:23 PM

Default Newbie: Singer 1200 knee lift mechanism

Hi I'm Mary. I joined a few weeks ago and have been lurking a bit and reading past posts. Please be patient, I will eventually get it. I got into this vintage sewing machine thing about 2 months ago. I didn't realize how fast it gets away from you. I found this to busy my mind since my sister's unexpected death last May. Learning something new is helping me get through this sad time in my life.
I have amassed 10 machines (in 2 months...worrisome)., in addition to my 5 machines I use for sewing and one serger. No computerized or plastic machines except the serger. I have learned so much from all of you & the aid of youtube, of course. Thank you.
I am currently working on refurbishing Singer 1200 and have 2 issues right now. The knee lift is not lifting the presser foot. I manually push on the mechanism under the machine but it has no effect. There are several adjustment bolt under the table. I posted some photos of my problem on Flicker. I am not so savvy on this yet but here is the link IMG_1444
[TABLE="class: link-enhancr-element, width: 490"]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E5E5E5, colspan: 6"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E5E5E5"][/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000000"]
[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]IMG_14441_Singer 1200 Dressmaker's Table
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]View on www.flickr.com[/TD]
[TD]
Preview by Yahoo
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E5E5E5, colspan: 6"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

OOPS! I didn't realize this picture would show up when I copied the link here. Did I already break a rule? I can't delete it.
The second thing is that I sanded the table to the bare wood but there is this great Ruler decal on the table I want to preserve same as the decal on the portable Mitsubishi 15-91 clone case. I covered the ruler with painters tape briefly while I sanded but it still picked up some of what I'm guessing is dirty shellac along with some decal. I want to apply Danish oil in walnut to the table (not sure if this is a good idea) but no matter what I have to cover the dirty decal with something and will it stick even if i coat with shellac? Anyone know this Singer 1200 table mechanism or have ideas about the refinish?
Old 03-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Banned

Most knee lift mechanisms end up as a vertical post under the machine. the machine with a list arm is then actuated by that.

I would suggest looking at the bottom of the sewing machine to see the mechanism that actuates the arm.

Or post pictures that are in the 800x?? size range of the bottom of the machine, and we can help
Old 03-11-2016, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. Pictures 3 & 4 show the rod (3) that pushes up against (4) if you can see there is worn paint on the part. If I push with my finger on that part the horizontal bar mechanism in the back of the machine moves up but not enough to lift the presser foot. I was trying to show the difference in 5&6 by lifting the presser foot with the hand lever vs the knee lift which doesn’t move it at all. So that part in 4 affects the horizontal bar (not pictured) in the back but not the presser foot. Does that make sense? Even if I got that right, the knee lift is still not striking #4. I have the Adjuster’s manual but it doesn’t discuss how to adjust the knee lift. I can take more pictures but I think the essential parts are in the pics. If I could video it that might make more sense. Is there a way to do that here?

Last edited by dreamsinblues; 03-11-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:03 PM

I think a picture of the back of the machine would be useful. It seems to me that there should be some adjustment of the linkage that should solve the problem. However I don't have a 1200 in my collection to reference. In picture 4 the lever pulls down on the rod on the right which should be connected to the horizontal bar in the back and somewhere in that immediate area should be an adjustment point to shorten the vertical linkage thus causing the bar to raise further and lift the presser foot.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Keep being busy and very slowly your pain will be more livable. Glad you found something to do that you enjoy.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:38 PM

Thanks Tom W. I will try that out tomorrow and try another photo if I come up with something. Spent the day cleaning out my shed or I would try it out tonight. Thanks ManicQuilter2 for you comforting words. I didn't think I would come out of it but feel I am getting THROUGH it now.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:43 AM

I have added pictures and a post several times but they disappeared. I will try again. Here is the back with lift mechanism. I adjusted some of these screws but it did not make a difference. Any ideas? Anyone own this machine?[ATTACH=CONFIG]544793[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1470.jpg