Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
99K need to re wire  & replace belt >

99K need to re wire & replace belt

99K need to re wire & replace belt

Old 03-19-2015, 07:59 AM

Default 99K need to re wire & replace belt

Thank You for your time!!! I have a 99k trying to put back in running order. Need a new belt no problem there . But I need to re wire the cord to the light to the foot control & to the plug in . Do you know where I can purchase this set up or cords>
Old 03-19-2015, 08:19 AM

Depends on how it's wired. Sew-Classic.com carries foot pedal and cord block sets. If it's the spotlight type fixture that many 99s came with, rewiring them can be fiddly. There's not much room to work inside the housing and you'll need some soldering skills. If the cord is good at all I would try to keep using it.
Rodney
Old 03-19-2015, 01:16 PM

I have one of these I need to do the same on. At some point in its history, someone simply snipped off the line that went to the lamp and just put a bit of electrical tape over the exposed cord stump. The power cord and foot pedal cord both have some scary looking splices and change colors a couple times. I opened up the junction box on the motor and it looks terrifying, one of the wire joins was just left naked!! I don't know how anybody used it in this condition; I'm afraid to plug it in to even test the motor. I took it off completely for now...I wish it had a spoked handwheel so I could make it a hand crank easily, the machine itself glides beautifully. I'm told it was working until it was put away but I'm not sure I believe that!

I might bring it to my cousin next time I'm out his direction - he's an electrical engineer and works on terrifying stuff for a living so this will be peanuts to him!

I found a replacement spotlight lamp on eBay I'd like to put on it too; it's missing the lens cover part but better than nothing.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:34 AM

Rewiring these is a piece of cake. (( Double dutch chocolate two layers with dark chocolate icing all the way around please )).
Seriously they are not that complicated. There are wiring diagrams all over the internet. And if you want PM me your email addy and I'll email you ..... if I can figure out how .... the diagrams.

As Rodney said you'll need some soldering skills and a good pinpoint soldering gun or iron. Done a few, none have gone up in smoke.

Joe
Old 03-20-2015, 08:05 AM

One question I have - how critical is it to tell the two wires coming directly out of the motor apart? I don't really understand polarity so I can't just TELL and I'm afraid of doing things backwards. I didn't see anything on the wires coming out of the motor to tell me which is which, but I could have missed it.

And is it correct that the light is just wired straight into the motor & pedal cords? Three wires joining in both spots? That feels wrong to me but I don't know what's correct or where else the wires would go.

The diagrams I've found are about wiring a plug on the motor, but mine doesn't have a plug, just wires that have been twisted together with a plastic nut that then leave the junction box and go to the pedal, outlet, and lamp (which is the cut wire). I'm afraid "they" might have wired in these new wires and it was all messed up and that's why they just snipped the lamp off entirely. I don't know what keywords I'm missing to find diagrams for just hard-wiring the pedal, cord & lamp to the motor.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:06 AM

Sorry Enchanted Quilter, I just realized I've hijacked your thread! I should take some pictures of the mess I have and start my own. My apologies!
Old 03-20-2015, 09:46 AM

Rain's guide to rewiring the 201 had the "hot" or black or smooth insulation wire coming out of the bottom of the motor and that was what I followed for the 66's motor. That rewired motor runs in the correct direction at least.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Sorry Enchanted Quilter, I just realized I've hijacked your thread! I should take some pictures of the mess I have and start my own. My apologies!
Not a problem enjoyed the info > My Hubby re wired my whole machine so I set as soon as the belt comes in >> Hope you get yours fixed also!!!