Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
99k - trouble with bobbin winder >

99k - trouble with bobbin winder

99k - trouble with bobbin winder

Old 02-27-2015, 05:47 AM

I have quite a few plastic Class 66 bobbins. If you get those actually made by Singer in the 70s and marked Singer, they are OK. If you find aftermarket ones that match the old Singer they are usually OK. But I've also seen them narrower between the rims, burred on the edges, and just sloppily made.

The best bobbins to use in an older machine made for Class 66 bobbins are the metal ones sold by Sew-Classic. Those are really good.
But even better than that are the actual vintage Singer bobbins.

Joe
Old 02-27-2015, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
Now on to the next part - the bobbin is too tight for the case. I can't pull any thread at all through the tension slot. Is this likely to be a problem with the bobbin case tension or is it because these Class 66 bobbins are the cheap Singer ones from JoAnns? I have some on order from Sew-Classic, I'm just impatient to get my machine up and running!
I'm betting it's the bobbins. I bought some metal class 66's from JoAnn's, Singer brand...they don't fit into my Rocketeer or either of my two 99Ks - I can't get a single one of them to fit into any of the bobbin cases, they're too large and/or not round. I wound one and I could see it "wobbling" so I took it off and compared it to the (one) vintage bobbin I have and the new ones are distinctively different. The new ones are not manufactured as well at all. I don't know what Singer is thinking but those bobbins don't work in any of my machines. I tossed them into my "junk metal" box - they'll work their way into some art project some day, LOL.

I just ordered some different new metal class 66 bobbins from Amazon, made by a company called Gold Star. The reviews seem to indicate these are good replacements for the vintage ones - I'll let you guys know if they work. If they do, I'm buying dozens before THOSE go bad too. (It's around $5 for 10 of them, not bad.)
Old 02-27-2015, 10:46 AM

I ordered some from Sew-Classic. Hope that's the answer! The bobbin winder actually works really well now - makes better bobbins than most of my other machines!

Mouse update - put the cat in the room and shut the door (after removing the traps, of course!). Final score - Mouse - 2, Me - 0, Cat - 1. And the cat wins!!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I'm betting it's the bobbins. I bought some metal class 66's from JoAnn's, Singer brand...they don't fit into my Rocketeer or either of my two 99Ks - I can't get a single one of them to fit into any of the bobbin cases, they're too large and/or not round. I wound one and I could see it "wobbling" so I took it off and compared it to the (one) vintage bobbin I have and the new ones are distinctively different. The new ones are not manufactured as well at all. I don't know what Singer is thinking but those bobbins don't work in any of my machines. I tossed them into my "junk metal" box - they'll work their way into some art project some day, LOL.

I just ordered some different new metal class 66 bobbins from Amazon, made by a company called Gold Star. The reviews seem to indicate these are good replacements for the vintage ones - I'll let you guys know if they work. If they do, I'm buying dozens before THOSE go bad too. (It's around $5 for 10 of them, not bad.)
Sewnoma,

You got a link to the Amazon Gold Star dealer you'd share with me? I only ask cos I'm pathetic when it comes to searches.

Joe
Old 02-27-2015, 10:50 AM

Good kitty!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
I ordered some from Sew-Classic. Hope that's the answer! The bobbin winder actually works really well now - makes better bobbins than most of my other machines!

Mouse update - put the cat in the room and shut the door (after removing the traps, of course!). Final score - Mouse - 2, Me - 0, Cat - 1. And the cat wins!!
Sometimes you just can't beat a cat!

Joe
Old 03-03-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Sewnoma,

You got a link to the Amazon Gold Star dealer you'd share with me? I only ask cos I'm pathetic when it comes to searches.

Joe
Yes! They just came today and I'm happy to report they are really nicely made and fit my 500A & my 99K perfectly! I bought more. I notice there are a couple different sellers, I bought from "Metropolitans Warehouse" - I don't know if the other sellers have identical product or not.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040ZFPBK/
Old 03-04-2015, 09:08 AM

Sewnoma,

Thanks for reporting back. I checked out the Amazon link and those do look like pretty good bobbins.

Joe