Advise on taking apart

Old 04-29-2014, 05:34 AM

I've easily fit the whole cabinet in my back seat - take out the machine then tape the flap shut, and put it in upside down. On the older ones, they come completely apart, but newer (like 40-50's) often don't. I guess by that time shipping was easier so they didn't have to send them disassembled. You will have to look underneath to see if there are screws and brackets. I have several that the legs come off but the box part of the cabinet is glued also. I have one (not like that pictured) that the legs unscrew from the box of the cabinet.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:04 AM

MarueenT,

Why people keep insisting that older machines be junked is beyond me. It must be a sickness caused by the odor of plastic.

Where at in IL? If it's in Springfield or a surrounding town and you want some help taking it apart give me a PM and we'll set up a time.
I've got a Nissan Pathfinder and cabinets fit just fine fully assembled. So it should fit with no problems in your CRV.

Joe
Old 04-29-2014, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Joe I think we need to have a discussion about junking older machines vs junking JUNK machines. There is quite a difference. Some of the plastic wonders I've seen are JUNK. Some old machines are JUNK. We need to start a new thread about JUNK machines some time. I need to get things done so count me out at the moment.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Joe I think we need to have a discussion about junking older machines vs junking JUNK machines. There is quite a difference. Some of the plastic wonders I've seen are JUNK. Some old machines are JUNK. We need to start a new thread about JUNK machines some time. I need to get things done so count me out at the moment.
LOL! The problem is, many of the "OLD" junk machines, by that I mean bad designs and cheap manufacturing not just age and use, are better than today's plastic junk.
An example would be the Kenmore 120-491 made by the New Process Gear Corp. Now that machine is JUNK. Yet it is still somewhat better than today's junk.

That would be a smokin discussion.

Joe
Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
MarueenT,

Why people keep insisting that older machines be junked is beyond me. It must be a sickness caused by the odor of plastic.

Where at in IL? If it's in Springfield or a surrounding town and you want some help taking it apart give me a PM and we'll set up a time.
I've got a Nissan Pathfinder and cabinets fit just fine fully assembled. So it should fit with no problems in your CRV.

Joe
Thanks Joe but she lives in Machesney Park, near Rockford. I have confidence now that somehow I am going to get this in my car, and am excited about having it. She is riding back with me, and my two dogs, and their should still be room. She just made me wonder and I appreciate all the help here.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:48 AM

*** I brought mine home (lying side ways) in the back seat of my 2001 Nissan Maxima,
*** but I only had to travel 25 miles.
*** It suffered no damage.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:25 AM

That is a beautiful machine; thanks for not giving in to your sister to just junk it. And someone did make a good suggestion that if you can't get the cabinet in your car, leave it there for her to put in a yard sale, you can find one locally that is just as good as that one (unless you are just set on having that particular cabinet.)....
Old 04-30-2014, 06:55 PM

I drive an '01 civic and have had a cabinet similar to that rattling around in my trunk for the better part of two months (don't ask). I laid it on it's back and took the machine out (that did make it into the house). It can be done as long as it doesn't have to transport upright and it doesn't take as much room as you might think.