Advise on taking apart

Old 04-28-2014, 01:16 PM

Default Advise on taking apart

A while ago I bought a Singer 66 in a cabinet. My sister wants me to just junk it as it is heavy. She lived in IL and I live in upstate NY, and it is in her garage. Now I would love to bring it home this summer, but to get it into my car? Is there a way to soften the glue that holds it together to take it apart and then reglue it when I get home?
The picture is not my machine...just an idea of what I have. I know the table part unscrews, but it looks like it is all glued? Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance![ATTACH=CONFIG]473490[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-66-18_2.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:49 PM

I'm no help, except SOMEONE had to put it together, and you're someone who can take it apart. It may be screws or it may be glue, but if it is glue take it easy.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:21 PM

Most of the cabinets I have seen just have legs that are bolted or screwed on, though I have never taken one apart to know if they are glued or not.

Whenever I pick up a machine, I just take it out of the cabinet and then put the whole cabinet in my car. The ones like that fit with no problems in my older Camry. I can even stuff the desk sized ones in if I position them just right.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:42 PM

It's a nicer cabinet than a lot that I've seen. Junking it would be a shame. It's possible it was shipped flat then assembled where the machine was sold. If that's the case you may be able to get it apart without damaging it. If you get a couple long wood clamps you can reverse them to make them spreaders instead. Check before you buy. Some are easy to reverse, others you have to work at it. That can help you force the joints apart where the legs join the cabinet sides.
If it's glued too well you stand a strong chance of damaging the cabinet. In that case you may be happier selling or donating the cabinet and finding one closer to home.
Rodney
Old 04-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I have a Honda Fit - If it is a Singer cabinet the legs will come off. The head will come out - there are two set screws by the hinges - loosen the set screws and it will lift right out. Then you can loosen the leg screws and the legs will slide off. Tighten up the screws and you are good to go. Kenmore cabinets don't always come apart.

The Singer 66 is a nice machine. You should be able to do a lot of chain stitching with that machine - save wear and tear on some other machine.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:45 PM

How do you chain stitch with a model 66?
Old 04-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

LOL I think I meant to say sew a couple quilt pieces, then sew a couple more like a chain. LOL
Old 04-28-2014, 06:15 PM

I think she meant chain piecing. I'm reasonably certain Miriam knows it doesn't make an actual chain stitch.
She's got enough of them to check to be certain at the moment.
My 66 was my favorite until I got my Rodney machine. I love the way it sews.
Rodney
Old 04-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

I don't have my name on any machine but maybe it could be arranged:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473543[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-franklin-long-bobbin-013.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have a Honda Fit - If it is a Singer cabinet the legs will come off. The head will come out - there are two set screws by the hinges - loosen the set screws and it will lift right out. Then you can loosen the leg screws and the legs will slide off. Tighten up the screws and you are good to go. Kenmore cabinets don't always come apart.

The Singer 66 is a nice machine. You should be able to do a lot of chain stitching with that machine - save wear and tear on some other machine.

Bless your heart...just traded in my Fit, and got the CRV. My son is going with me so I'm hoping he can take this apart. My sister keeps telling me I'll need to cut the legs off....didn't make sense. Thank you all!!!