Bel Air Bantam

Old 07-06-2015, 04:42 PM

Default Bel Air Bantam

I just bought a Bel Air Sewing Machine Bantam Model. The Serial number is B492265A...if that helps. Does anybody know what year this machine was made and have any other info...would be much appreciated. The graphic details on it are quite different than the pictures I've seen on-line, and I think those are from 1952. Thanks for your help....
Old 07-06-2015, 05:56 PM

Hi -- here's mine: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...24-500542.html

I am curious about the different decals of your machine.... would love to see pictures!

I have not found any info other than it is made in Japan and from the fifties.

The Bantam is a 3/4 size machine, about 1 1/2 inches shorter than the standard size machines which adds to the cuteness factor :-) .
It is cast aluminum and not cast iron like most of the black machines. That makes it a lighter weight.

All short shank attachments will work with your machine.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:02 PM

pictures??
Old 07-06-2015, 06:11 PM

Adding to Sews' comments. It's a Singer 99 copy but aluminum like Sews said. If you don't have a manual, one for a Singer 99 will work. They're available as a free download from Singerco.com.
It should be a nice machine for you.
Rodney
Old 07-07-2015, 07:03 AM
Banned

Great machine and tough. This is what we shipped to Afghanistan to my friend who was serving over there ( FREE through the amazing generosity of the folks here, we sent this with electric and a hand crank and a ton of extras)
Old 07-09-2015, 05:28 AM

I had no idea they were aluminum!
Old 07-09-2015, 10:01 PM

Aluminum machines are interesting. They don't rust, but corrode readily. Usually it happens when the paint is chipped and the corrosion has to be scraped away and sealed either with paint of clear finish of some kind. A lady once used clear nail polish. Anyway, it stopped the corrosion and it was what she had. I recently redid a White 77 and the bed was peeling badly so polished the bed and primed it with Rust-Oleum, Aluminum primer and then painted with Rust-Oleum, hammered finish paint to blend with the wrinkle paint. It looks good enough and saved the machine from terminal aluminum rot. Those machines are notorious for peeling paint. I have seen a lot of them on Ebay with that condition. They used to be really cheap, but the price has also made them popular and now they are going up in value. They sew well and some parts are still available. The aluminum machines should be light, but not as light as you would think. I can however carry it with one hand. I just happen to like aluminum machines for some unknown reason.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:25 AM

I am pretty sure I have a few aluminum machines in my horde. I know the FW is. I have assumed that my Rocketeer is also aluminum but I don't actually know that. Maybe the 319 also? Fortunately none of them have any corrosion issues. I've seen the 77's with the white corrosion/oxidization and avoided those...funny, I've also noticed them going up in price lately too, I just assumed that's because I finally decided I wanted one. LOL

Is aluminum "rust" harder to deal with than when iron/steel rusts? Or is it really all pretty much the same process?
Old 07-10-2015, 07:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
...Is aluminum "rust" harder to deal with than when iron/steel rusts? Or is it really all pretty much the same process?
It's all oxidization. The issue is Aluminum dust is NOT cool for humans and dealing with the corrosion should be done with gloves and a mask. Wire brush will clean it right up in most cases. clean it well afterwards and then paint and seal it.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:59 AM

Good to know, thanks Steve!