Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Best gear lubricant for Singer 401? >

Best gear lubricant for Singer 401?

Best gear lubricant for Singer 401?

Old 05-22-2014, 07:21 AM

Default Best gear lubricant for Singer 401?

I once used singer lubricant on my Singer 401 gears, but I don't see it around anymore. It was last lubricated at the service and repair shop with something that was almost white, and it became almost hardened. I have cleaned it off, and want to go back with something that is known to be a good lubricant. Can someone who knows tell me what to buy, and where? I would also like some feedback on the best sewing machine oil. Thanks so much.

Piepatch
Old 05-22-2014, 07:48 AM

Piepatch,

The hardened white stuff could have been white lithium grease or some other stuff.

Singer now makes a grease that is white and states it's for gears. I have some and it's quite sticky. Not at all like the old Singer Motor Lube grease.

However, I use Tri-Flow grease on my 401 and 500s. It's a synthetic and does not harden or run off like some greases do.
I get it from Sew-Classic.

Joe
Old 05-22-2014, 10:37 AM

Thanks so much for the information! I read something about Tri-Flow on another thread, but I was not sure if it was ok for the 401.........now I know. I will order the Tri-Flow Grease and Oil, and won't plan on using the machine until I get it well lubricated again. Since I cleaned off all that gook, it needs a good treatment. Thanks again for responding.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:55 AM

Joe is right. I had a machine that wouldn't turn. After 2 days and several drops of tri-flow, it is now turning just fine. DH was very surprised.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:00 PM

I use Vaseline pure petroleum jelly.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 PM

Sunflowerzz: How does the Vaseline hold up over time? I've seen it mentioned by people more knowledgeable than me that it was a good substitute for Singer motor lube but I'm not sure of how it does over time. I'm currently using it in my daughter's Singer 101 but we really don't run that machine very much.
Our local sewing machine shop recommended a light weight synthetic grease when I asked. I didn't find any locally so I used the Vaseline instead.
Rodney
Old 05-22-2014, 03:11 PM

Vaseline is like the Singer Motor Lube grease. It melts at 115º and will fling off as it liquifies under the heat and pressure of use. It's good for the Singer motors and others like my old White DRESSMASTER that specifies petroleum jelly in the motor's grease pots, but I wouldn't use it for gears in any machine used to any degree.
Tri-Flow grease is readily available at Sew-Classic and is far more suitable for gears. The white Singer gear grease is also available on line and at the LSMG places.

Joe
Old 05-22-2014, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Sunflowerzz: How does the Vaseline hold up over time? I've seen it mentioned by people more knowledgeable than me that it was a good substitute for Singer motor lube but I'm not sure of how it does over time. I'm currently using it in my daughter's Singer 101 but we really don't run that machine very much.
Our local sewing machine shop recommended a light weight synthetic grease when I asked. I didn't find any locally so I used the Vaseline instead.
Rodney
I have only had my machines since starting in Sept. But I have done tons of research and visited many other forums and pure petroleum is used often with great results on a variety of vintage machines. My husband is a Geo scientist and currently working as a mud engineer in the oil industry and they use petroleum on million dollar gears and equipment and he said it would be fine so armed with all of my info I grease with it. The machines all run very quiet and smooth.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:13 PM

I use vaseline too. I have been to all the local stores and none of them carry Singer Motor Lube. The SMG didn't carry any (who was not local and I'm not driving 45 minutes to the other non local guy, for that way I might as well visit Miriam). Sew Classic only carries tri flow lube.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:53 PM

I used Vaseline to grease the gears in a paper shredder, what a mess!