Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Lubricant - aka - Grease >

Singer Lubricant - aka - Grease

Singer Lubricant - aka - Grease

Old 08-17-2013, 07:31 AM

Default Singer Lubricant - aka - Grease

Does anyone know of a source for Singer Lubricant in Canada. I can find it in the USA at various sources, but shipping makes it prohibitive. I don't have a pay pal account. May have to break down and get one.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-17-2013, 07:55 AM

it is my understanding you can also use Vaseline. although I am not sure how to actually get the Vaseline in the hole.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:20 AM

I don't have a source of the Singer Motor Lube any more. From what I have read that lube has been discontinued by Singer and what you find now ( the white stuff ) is for gears, not motors.

To use petroleum jelly go to Sew-Classic or a craft / hobby store and buy one of the syringes with the long curved tube on the end. Pop the plunger out and fill it with petroleum jelly then put the plunger back in. You'll need to cut the tip off the curved end so it will just fit inside the motor grease tube. Insert and inject.
I keep two of those syringes, one with Singer lube - eventually will have p-j, and the other with T-F grease. They are very handy.

Here's the Sew-Classic link so you'll know what I'm talking about:
{ http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Syri...e-SCSMJ412.htm }

Joe
Old 08-17-2013, 10:17 AM

Default Try this source for syringes.

In Canada (and also USA) try Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,110,42967

The needle syringes are great for oil. If you use them without the needle, good for grease.

The non-needle syrgines are also greast for oil. And if you clip the curved tip, to biggen the hole, they become great for grease also.

Happy lubing,

-Cecilia
Old 08-18-2013, 05:10 AM

You can use Tri-Flow sewing machine grease. I bought a tube for my vintage machines. I also use Tri-Flow oil in all of my machines that need oil. I use it on the ratchets on my frame. When I first starting frame quilting, the ratchets were so bad that I was afraid that I was going to break them every time I needed to move the quilt sandwich. I called Grace and they shipped me new ratchets. But before they arrived, I found Tri-Flow. I used it on my ratchets. They worked perfectly. Once a year or so, I respray them. I still have the replacement ratchets in the drawer, never used them. I wouldn't use anything else. Love it.

You can find it at bike shops. Here is the link to sew-classic that tells about the Tri-Flow products.
http://shop.sew-classic.com/4-Oil-Grease-Tools_c6.htm
Old 08-18-2013, 07:55 AM

In Canada, you can get syringes and/or needles of various sorts at TSC, meant for animal injections sort of thing. Quite cheap and a TSC store may be closer than Lee Valley, which is also one of my favourite stores!
Nova Sewing in Hamilton Ontario used to have that lubricant, you could maybe contact them to see what they may have or recommend. They have a website too, novasewing.com
Old 08-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

I buy mine on ebay....
Old 08-18-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dollyo View Post
You can use Tri-Flow sewing machine grease. I bought a tube for my vintage machines. I also use Tri-Flow oil in all of my machines that need oil. I use it on the ratchets on my frame. When I first starting frame quilting, the ratchets were so bad that I was afraid that I was going to break them every time I needed to move the quilt sandwich. I called Grace and they shipped me new ratchets. But before they arrived, I found Tri-Flow. I used it on my ratchets. They worked perfectly. Once a year or so, I respray them. I still have the replacement ratchets in the drawer, never used them. I wouldn't use anything else. Love it.

You can find it at bike shops. Here is the link to sew-classic that tells about the Tri-Flow products.
http://shop.sew-classic.com/4-Oil-Grease-Tools_c6.htm
Please don't use the Tri-flo grease in the motor.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:23 AM

Cecilia S., the set of 5 needle syringes at Lee Valley would be perfect for applying Elmers glue to keep our binding in place for stitching. Thanks for letting us know, wonder if Harbor Freight has such things.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 AM

Default Elmer's Glue?!? Binding? Do tell!!!

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
Cecilia S., the set of 5 needle syringes at Lee Valley would be perfect for applying Elmers glue to keep our binding in place for stitching. Thanks for letting us know, wonder if Harbor Freight has such things.
Elmer's glue, really?

Okay, so here's the thing. I am a totaly novice at all of this; tinkering, sewing. I've successfully, thusfar, sewn mittens and rectangles. Period. So forgive me if I am asking for clarification on something which to you may be obvious...

You use Elmer's glue to hold stuff in place? Hmmmm. Do you let it fully dry first? Do you sew through it?

The only experience I have sewing through anything gluey is when I got creative and sewed through an envelope which had a sticker on it. Gummed the daylights out of the needle.

So, I would love to know more about how you do this successfully. I will -very soon- be starting to learn more about sewing, and so anything you can tell me about this glue things would be helpful.

As for the syringes, Lee Valley also has a US site, and also, I think it was Joe who posted a US site with syringes, in this thread, just before I posted my link; those syringes were very similar.

-C