Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Lubricant - aka - Grease >

Singer Lubricant - aka - Grease

Singer Lubricant - aka - Grease

Old 08-24-2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Question regarding the TriFlo lubricant - why did you say not to use it on the motor? I thought I was the replacement for the Singer lubricant.
This has been said many times, but here it is again; that which makes the Tri-Flow grease great for gears is the same thing that makes it unsuitable for motors. It is synthetic and does not get soft and flow when warm. Singer motor lube and petroleum jelly gets soft and flows as it gets warm.

Please make a note of this .....

Joe
Old 08-30-2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
In this case Singer has defected out on us and no longer sells the motor lube. As far as I have read the closest grease to use is petroleum jelly.
Joe, I've had a chat with my supplier up here, they contacted their supplier (i assume "down there") and had this to say:

"The blue/yellow package sounds like an old package we used to sell under the Simplicity brand but none of our current package is blue/yellow.

AND
This item was not reformulated; however, we were having issues with cold weather so we are now purchasing the product from a new source."

I asked about the several different packages I was seeing, including a "current" blue and yellow one on some site (can't recall which)

So, at the supplier level, no one "knows" it's discontinued.
Some retailers are getting some "Weird" tubes
Some of the product is having freezing issues(?) I assume that's what cold weather means?

I'm wondering if the perceived shortage is at the retail level. I currently have access to 180 tubes. And that's til the next order comes in at my supplier....

ETA: Just read this in another group:

"Petroleum jelly is highly flammable and should not be used near any source of wiring or electricity. As an RN, I was taught never to place petroleum jelly on the nostrils of a patient with a nasal cannula, or mask, do to the risk of flammability with oxygen. Please don't use Vaseline to lube any electric sewing machine!"

Uhh... I didn't even think to check it for flammability... thoughts? SC, the Vintage Singer Group, and many others suggest it...

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 08-30-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:59 PM

I've found it in the Simplicity blue and yellow package at JoAnn.com, but most of the stores don't carry it.
As a nurse I was also taught not to use petroleum jelly with oxygen. Still- I've never heard of a sewing machine fire. Has anyone?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
I've found it in the Simplicity blue and yellow package at JoAnn.com, but most of the stores don't carry it.
As a nurse I was also taught not to use petroleum jelly with oxygen. Still- I've never heard of a sewing machine fire. Has anyone?
Not specifically... though with some of the wiring, I'm not sure how they haven't gone up more often.
Joe did have a smoker at one point....

Thinking about that a little more.... what's to burn in a motor? wire insulation. It would be pretty contained for lack of fuel to burn. The amount of Vaseline is pretty tiny, it would probably smoke, maybe flare a touch.. then what?

ETA: The biggest problem would be if it managed to escape the motor and get some fabric.

Now irons on the other hand. I've read some horror stories here on the QB about irons...

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 08-30-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:46 AM

I know this will sound flippant, and I don't mean it to, honestly; but, I am pretty sure that the nurse training would also advise you not to put Singer Lube in the patient's nostrils.

I am pretty sure Singer Lube is also a petroleum product.

Now, I am just repeating what someone else told me, but the source is a VerySmartPerson who has worked professionally with machines. He tested a blop of Singer Lube and a blop of Vaseline under heat. He said that they both melted at the very same temperature, which was approx 115 degrees. He also said that left on the paper, both blobs stained/crawled/migrated at exactly the same rate over two days.

That's good enough for me; I would not hesitate to use Vaseline.

(On the nurse topic, the VSP cutely told me that if my sewing machine was sick, I could also try Vapo-Rub on the old stitcher...)
Old 08-31-2013, 05:03 AM

As a pharmacist I use petroleum jelly (Vaseline) for many lubricating purposes - pool pump lids, gears, hand cream, and many others. Any hydrocarbon will burn. The volatility is a factor determining at what temp it will ignite. Re: gas/volatile, kerosene/less volatile, grease/less volatile. I'm not afraid to use petroleum jelly on SM gears. Theoretically, pet jelly won't conduct electricity, so near use would not be my concern. Pet jelly not to be used on mucus membranes is due to the aqueous/hydrocarbon mixture is a great growth mix for bacteria. I don't use pet jelly on any mucus membranes for that reason, but, sewing machine gears, what the hey?
Old 08-31-2013, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
I know this will sound flippant, and I don't mean it to, honestly; but, I am pretty sure that the nurse training would also advise you not to put Singer Lube in the patient's nostrils.

Now, I am just repeating what someone else told me, but the source is a VerySmartPerson who has worked professionally with machines. He tested a blop of Singer Lube and a blop of Vaseline under heat. He said that they both melted at the very same temperature, which was approx 115 degrees. He also said that left on the paper, both blobs stained/crawled/migrated at exactly the same rate over two days.

(On the nurse topic, the VSP cutely told me that if my sewing machine was sick, I could also try Vapo-Rub on the old stitcher...)
VapoRub is pet jelly with menthol and eucalyptus oils added. VapoRub would be a good emergency SM lube.��
Old 08-31-2013, 07:28 AM

Thank you Tammi. I'm looking forward to 'greasing' my FW and my mother's treadle so they will run a little smoother. They are both VERY dry and I don't want to use them till I can grease them. I have oiled all the little holes that require it, but the motor on the FW could use some and the gears under the body of the treadle also. Can hardly wait till it arrives.

Some very interesting replies from this thread. You learn so much from this site.

Last edited by Overlander; 08-31-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Joe, I've had a chat with my supplier up here, they contacted their supplier (i assume "down there") and had this to say:

"The blue/yellow package sounds like an old package we used to sell under the Simplicity brand but none of our current package is blue/yellow.

AND
This item was not reformulated; however, we were having issues with cold weather so we are now purchasing the product from a new source."

I asked about the several different packages I was seeing, including a "current" blue and yellow one on some site (can't recall which)

So, at the supplier level, no one "knows" it's discontinued.
Some retailers are getting some "Weird" tubes
Some of the product is having freezing issues(?) I assume that's what cold weather means?

I'm wondering if the perceived shortage is at the retail level. I currently have access to 180 tubes. And that's til the next order comes in at my supplier....

ETA: Just read this in another group:

"Petroleum jelly is highly flammable and should not be used near any source of wiring or electricity. As an RN, I was taught never to place petroleum jelly on the nostrils of a patient with a nasal cannula, or mask, do to the risk of flammability with oxygen. Please don't use Vaseline to lube any electric sewing machine!"

Uhh... I didn't even think to check it for flammability... thoughts? SC, the Vintage Singer Group, and many others suggest it...
Tammi,

I sincerely doubt the flammability of petroleum jelly in sewing machine motors. I call that BS.

As to the Singer grease not being reformulated, I'm going to stick my neck out and say those that say that are mistaken.
I have many tubes of the old lube. And one tube of the new stuff.
They are a different color, old is anywhere from opaque to amber, the new is white like lithium grease.
The textures are different. They spread different. The point is, they are totally different.

If Singer is having freezing problems with the lube they need to address that, but why would sewing machine grease freeze? It's cold here in IL in the winter too and I've never had a bit of trouble with the Singer grease, old or new freezing.
But then I don't sew outside in the snow either.

I don't know, it just sounds to me like your supplier is making up stories to try and make a sale.

Joe
Old 08-31-2013, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post

This is the same thing I read on a blog. Unfortunately I do not know which blog as I lost those book marks when my last computer failed.
Motors have used petroleum based lubes for over a hundred years and they still do. If it was a fire hazard then there would have been a different lube used.
You also use petroleum based oils in your car and you know how hot that engine gets. And yet, there's no problem.

Yeah, I call the fire hazard with petroleum jelly on sewing machine motors BS.

Joe