Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Lubricant - aka - Grease >

Singer Lubricant - aka - Grease

Singer Lubricant - aka - Grease

Old 08-31-2013, 05:43 PM

Here are a couple of pictures from eBay identical to the tube I have.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]433452[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433453[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails %24t2ec16fhjhgffljgvrh3bsgnf3oj3q%7E%7E60_57.jpg   %24t2ec16v-ue9s3wco7tbsgnf-h-g%7E%7E60_57.jpg  
Old 08-31-2013, 06:14 PM

I give up. I did dig out one of my old metal Singer Motor lube tubes. On the front it says: "Singer Motor Lubricant".
On the back it says the same as Marks tube.
I don't know any more.

So, all I can say is I will not use the white Singer grease in my Singer motors. I will use the other grease and petroleum jelly.

That's all I'll say on this subject.

Joe
Old 08-31-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
Petroleum jelly is not use as a lubricant inside of the motor, where all of the electrical magic takes place, but rather outside of the motor, to lubricate each end of the shaft that runs through the center of the motor.

I guess it is possible that some seals could fail, thereby allowing some petroleum jelly into the motor body, but at that point, your problems go beyond what type of lubricant was used.
I agree. I think the "concern" is that if over heated the lube may liquify and end up flowing into the chamber where it's not supposed to. I'm guessing. I think it's another one of those "perfect storm" things that won't happen in real life. Put into the brush tubes, I can see a pretty big problem, but that's another scenario altogether. It still wouldn't start a fire, as best I can tell. Not enough to burn to make more than maybe a couple of pretty sparks.

I should have slept more before I posted it. In the light of day, it was non-sensical.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Also if you'll notice the blue tube is shorter than the red tube, yet both are labeled as containing 1/2 fluid ounce. This tells me the grease in the blue tube is heavier than that in the red tube. Another clue that it is not suitable for the motors.

Joe
It doesn't necessarily mean that there's less in the tube. Pretty much every tube of the brown stuff has "belched" out a pretty big bubble. If the Blue and Yellow is better packed, it could be a smaller tube.

You said that the Blue and Yellow tube is newer, yes? Do you mind letting us know where it came from? (i.e. Joanns may have had older stock they found and put out, Walmart ditto, I wouldn't think SC would have had it if it was the older stock that the supplier's supplier suggests, etc)

Also, is the part number the same on the B/Y tube? I seem to recall you mentioning a different part number for some lube.

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
Just to add to the confusion, I have an old lead tube of Singer Motor Lubricant, and here is what it says on the back of the tube:

The Lubricant Par Excellence
For High Speed Electrical Machinery

A Pure Non-Flowing Compound
Retaining Its Consistency and Possessing
High Lubricating Qualities
Hah! I don't know if I ever read the tube! I have a few here too.

I'd be interested in knowing what the melt point is of all 4 lubes. The old in the lead tube. The Pink tube, the Blue and yellow tube and the petroleum jelly. We've heard about presumably the pink and the PJ - 115 degrees. Any one set up to do the other test? I can do the old lead tube if I can figure out how to correctly measure it. I'm guessing my candy thermometer isn't the way. I have no access whatsoever to the B/Y tube though...
Old 09-01-2013, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I agree. I think the "concern" is that if over heated the lube may liquify and end up flowing into the chamber where it's not supposed to. I'm guessing. I think it's another one of those "perfect storm" things that won't happen in real life. Put into the brush tubes, I can see a pretty big problem, but that's another scenario altogether. It still wouldn't start a fire, as best I can tell. Not enough to burn to make more than maybe a couple of pretty sparks.

I should have slept more before I posted it. In the light of day, it was non-sensical.

It doesn't necessarily mean that there's less in the tube. Pretty much every tube of the brown stuff has "belched" out a pretty big bubble. If the Blue and Yellow is better packed, it could be a smaller tube.

You said that the Blue and Yellow tube is newer, yes? Do you mind letting us know where it came from? (i.e. Joanns may have had older stock they found and put out, Walmart ditto, I wouldn't think SC would have had it if it was the older stock that the supplier's supplier suggests, etc)

Also, is the part number the same on the B/Y tube? I seem to recall you mentioning a different part number for some lube.

Hah! I don't know if I ever read the tube! I have a few here too.

I'd be interested in knowing what the melt point is of all 4 lubes. The old in the lead tube. The Pink tube, the Blue and yellow tube and the petroleum jelly. We've heard about presumably the pink and the PJ - 115 degrees. Any one set up to do the other test? I can do the old lead tube if I can figure out how to correctly measure it. I'm guessing my candy thermometer isn't the way. I have no access whatsoever to the B/Y tube though...
Tammi,

I don't know which one is newer. I have a bunch of the red-pink-white tubes of motor lube we bought at JoAnns when they closed out the two small stores here. I honestly don't know where the blue-white-yellow tube of white grease came from or when.
I no longer have any of the cards the grease tubes came on and there are no part numbers on the tubes that I can find.
Not much help am I?

I had an idea for testing the melting point of the greases.

Use a small toaster oven with a clear window so you can see what's happening. And an oven thermometer.
Extrude a small amount of each grease on a oven suitable tray and then turn the oven on. Watch the thermometer and greases to see what temp they start to melt and flow.

I might try that myself when I find an oven thermometer.

Joe
Old 09-01-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Tammi,

I don't know which one is newer. I have a bunch of the red-pink-white tubes of motor lube we bought at JoAnns when they closed out the two small stores here. I honestly don't know where the blue-white-yellow tube of white grease came from or when.
I no longer have any of the cards the grease tubes came on and there are no part numbers on the tubes that I can find.
Not much help am I?

I had an idea for testing the melting point of the greases.

Use a small toaster oven with a clear window so you can see what's happening. And an oven thermometer.
Extrude a small amount of each grease on a oven suitable tray and then turn the oven on. Watch the thermometer and greases to see what temp they start to melt and flow.

I might try that myself when I find an oven thermometer.

Joe
LOL! Joe, I should have realised that the tubes didn't have part numbers. I think I had it in my head that I'd seen one and didn't bother to look. So the B/W/Y tube might not be newer then. Hmmm...

I wonder if an over thermometer is sensitive enough? Maybe the meat thermometer...
I will also run this past DH and see what he thinks. I would do it outside though, because I think if overheated, any or all of these will have a terrible if not slightly noxious scent. The toaster oven is a good option as far as safety too. 115 is too low for the regular oven. I think it would happen too fast to be accurate as far as temperature. I can't set even my old one below 150, and it preheats in a few minutes.