Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Best machine to add a hand crank? >

Best machine to add a hand crank?

Best machine to add a hand crank?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:42 PM

Sew-Classic sells reproduction handwheels too. If you're not worried about messing up the original wheel you can cut or drill a hole in it to fit the crank. 99s are common enough you're not really hurting anything with the modification. Or buy one to modify from a parts machine so you can convert back later if you want.
Sometimes the spoked wheel is a different diameter where the bobbin winder rides against it making the stock winder not work anymore. It's just something to keep in mind when you switch over.
Rodney
Old 04-23-2015, 07:41 PM

Default Hand Crank

Jenny at Sew-Classic.com has received more hand cranks. It takes a while for them to come in, so better order right away. She was very nice and emailed me when they came in so I could get one.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
Jenny at Sew-Classic.com has received more hand cranks. It takes a while for them to come in, so better order right away. She was very nice and emailed me when they came in so I could get one.
I've been watching for them to come in already knowing I wanted to try one. I got mine already!

I started cleaning up a Singer 28 today. It was one I got a few months back and it was frozen solid. It's not a real looker but I think I'll clean it up and give the crank a try. It would be fun to see it actually work.

I'll also work on the 99 so I can try the crank with that too. The spare spoked handwheel I have fits! It's a 9 spoke and the chrome is rusted but I should be able to clean it up. I'll drop it in the Evaporust for starters.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
If you had your choice of machines, which would you prefer to have as a hand crank?

I decided to get one of the repro hand cranks for fun and put it on a machine. Now I can't decide which machine to put it on!
I have a 127 and a 115 HC setup. The 127 is so smooth I prefer it for delicate work. The 115 is a clunker for "Dirty" work. I've even used the 115 in a rain shower finishing a pontoon Bimini repair. It seems to have survived without a hitch due to the oilings over the years.

Edit - I might add, the smoothness of 127 is probably due to a Singer crank. The 115 crank is after market and wobbly. Also, the 115 hand wheel is the larger 9 spoke leaving the crank ill fitting.

Last edited by Vridar; 04-24-2015 at 04:52 AM.