Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Best machine to add a hand crank? >

Best machine to add a hand crank?

Best machine to add a hand crank?

Old 04-22-2015, 01:22 PM

Default Best machine to add a hand crank?

If you had your choice of machines, which would you prefer to have as a hand crank?

I decided to get one of the repro hand cranks for fun and put it on a machine. Now I can't decide which machine to put it on!
Old 04-22-2015, 01:32 PM

The best machine to add your hand crank to, of course, would be one of my machines....
Did I ever mention that I'm really into handcrank machines?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
.... Now I can't decide which machine to put it on!
The one you use the most!!! (I agree with CD 100%)
Old 04-22-2015, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
The best machine to add your hand crank to, of course, would be one of my machines....
Did I ever mention that I'm really into handcrank machines?

CD in Oklahoma
heehee! Very very funny! I was originally thinking my Singer 128 la vencedora...still waiting clean up but then wondered if I wanted to pop it on a 99 instead since the bobbin holds more. Then I sorta started wondering what the best choice would be!
Old 04-22-2015, 01:57 PM

I would agree on a 3/4 machine...either a 128 or a 99 would be excellent. I have a soft spot for the shuttle machines.....
Old 04-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Banned

My daughter has a La Vencedora handcrank and has given up all of her electrics because of it!
Old 04-22-2015, 02:38 PM

I agree. One of the 3/4 size Singers is the best. Easy to do as long as they have the motor mounting boss and they're a convenient size. Roserips and I were talking about this a while ago for kids to sew on. She said the distance is too wide between the crank and the needle for kids to sew on a full size machine comfortably. An adult may not have that issue.
If your machine is in a carrying case the handcrank may not fit when the case is closed. Bentwood cases are about 1/4" short of clearing the crank. The good news is the crank only takes a few seconds to install.
Rodney
Old 04-22-2015, 03:47 PM
KLO

This is a great question IMO but I guess that is because I want to do this also. I have several machines in Bentwood cases, one shuttle type and one regular bobbin. Cannot decide whether to buy a repro handcrank and do one of them or wait until "you know where" freezes over and I find an authentic hand crank. So, I will be reading all posts to help me make a decision. Thanks for asking this!
Old 04-22-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
This is a great question IMO but I guess that is because I want to do this also. I have several machines in Bentwood cases, one shuttle type and one regular bobbin. Cannot decide whether to buy a repro handcrank and do one of them or wait until "you know where" freezes over and I find an authentic hand crank. So, I will be reading all posts to help me make a decision. Thanks for asking this!
I wondered about an original too but I don't see them often and they can get expensive. Jenny at Sew Classic has been out of them forever so when they finally came in, I decided to grab one quick!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

I like HCs. The DGDs love the little 99 and my DH likes to use that one too now that he has learned to sew. I don't know if it is because it is a 99 or if it is just a very nice machine to begin with. I had a 15 I really liked to use, too.