Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
cabinet hinges- does direction matter? >

cabinet hinges- does direction matter?

cabinet hinges- does direction matter?

Old 06-07-2015, 01:53 PM

Default cabinet hinges- does direction matter?

I took the hinges for the table extensions out when I stripped the cabinet and decided to tighten the holes with toothpicks and re-drill for the screws. While it's on my mind to be very careful NOT to drill all the way through the planks I am getting things out for that now.

The hinges appear to be symmetrical only with two fingers on one side of the center pin and one on the other. Does it matter which way I put them on? Is it better to have them all face the same direction or is there added strength to mixing them up? (2-1-2)(1-2-1)?
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0775-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 06-08-2015, 03:26 AM

I am not sure I understand your question. The screw heads should all be lined up the same way when your done.(to look professional) All the lines vertical or horizontal not all going every direction. I usually try to put all three in and then tighten each a little at a time.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:41 AM

I understand the question but do not know the answer. my only cabinet has been much abused and they are currently mounted with the side that has the single middle wrap on the hinge pin towards the folding top, I can not state for certain but it would seem that is the stronger of the two, however any forces applied there will also be applied to the other side of the hinge so I do not see it mattering from a strength stand point.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:00 AM

I checked about 6 Singer cabinets, and all have the two outer on the cabinet and the one inner on the flaps.

The cabinets ranged from early 1900's treadle to mid 50's electric, both single flap and double flap styles.

The White cabinet I have in the house is also this way, however the National I have in the house is the other way - I can check the other non-Singers later, when I get out to the shed.

Last edited by Macybaby; 06-08-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
I understand the question but do not know the answer. my only cabinet has been much abused and they are currently mounted with the side that has the single middle wrap on the hinge pin towards the folding top, I can not state for certain but it would seem that is the stronger of the two, however any forces applied there will also be applied to the other side of the hinge so I do not see it mattering from a strength stand point.
I don't see a difference either but before I go drilling them all in I thought I had best check!

HelenAnn, if you look carefully at the center of each hinge you can see it is divided into 3 sections. Each half of the hinge has a bit of metal that comes into the center where a part of the end piece curls around the center pin. On one side of the hinge it is a single center curl around the pin, on the other side it has the two outer curls around the pin. I am only wondering if it matters which way the hinge goes back on. 3 hinges have to support a heavy extension with no other support underneath. I was wondering if they are stronger if put on a certain way. Does that make sense?
Old 06-08-2015, 10:21 AM

Do you think that being north or south of the equator would have anything to do with hinge orientation? Just trying to help.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-08-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Do you think that being north or south of the equator would have anything to do with hinge orientation? Just trying to help.

CD in Oklahoma
Don't make me come up there and whomp you boy!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:36 AM

I think I can use different words to describe the hinges and answer the question at the same time.

The center pin bulges out on one side of the hinge. On the other side the hinge is flat all the way from screw holes across the pin to the other screw holes.

It is the flat side of the hinge which goes upwards in the folded-out part of the table so no fabric catches on the bulged out part of the pin.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Don't make me come up there and whomp you boy!
(hehehe)

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-08-2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
I think I can use different words to describe the hinges and answer the question at the same time.

The center pin bulges out on one side of the hinge. On the other side the hinge is flat all the way from screw holes across the pin to the other screw holes.

It is the flat side of the hinge which goes upwards in the folded-out part of the table so no fabric catches on the bulged out part of the pin.
That is actually opposite the two cabinets that I have ( mine may have been changed ) and it is not the question that was asked.