Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Can't find a decent vintage machine anywhere in town! >

Can't find a decent vintage machine anywhere in town!

Can't find a decent vintage machine anywhere in town!

Old 09-03-2014, 02:53 AM

Check your yellow pages for a Sewing Machine Repair shop. They usually have some nice machines with low price tags. Also try Pawn Shops. I have been lucky with both places.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:30 AM

Oh, Pawn shops is interesting! I'll have to go look...I don't actually know where there are any in this town but there must be at least one!

Craigslist....I've been burnt on there so many times I don't even think about it as a possibility anymore. Ditto for eBay! A couple of those listings looked somewhat interesting, but Sacramento is about a 2 hour drive each way from here...I'm not willing to go that far just to hunt down a machine for this kiddo!

The hospice thrift shops near me usually do test their machines; they've got someone (I'm guessing an older lady by the handwriting) that tests each machine and puts a handwritten list on each one as to what they tested, what seems to be missing/broken, etc; and they leave a partially-sewn sample of fabric in the machine that you can do more testing with. I know in the past I've seen a whole LINE of machines all in a row there (when I didn't need/want another) but now...none!! Something must have changed, maybe they had a specific donor that was sending in all those machines or they got a huge horde that it took them a year to parcel out or something. I have no idea about Goodwill or Salvation Army...I think SA must be dumping them ALL and GW is putting them all on their auction site!

This little girl in particular, I think probably WOULD prefer a newer plastic machine. I would prefer an older machine, so I'm kinda okay going either way there. She's a bit on the fussy side and is absolutely paranoid about dirt and germs - I could never let her know I bought a machine used or I don't think she'd want to touch it. So there are some "issues" there...but I see no reason why she'd need to know where I got the machine or how long I'd had it, lol, and cleaning up a used machine would probably be my first order of business anyway.

I don't think she'd want to sew on a classic old Singer; I'm thinking she'll want something that looks more "modern" (like what she saw at school sewing camp). I do want something with zigzag ability, and would prefer not to deal with cams. So maybe I'm a little picker than I thought!

I dunno, I just assumed I'd find a simple mechanical machine of some age or another, but they're all hiding. I'll just have to keep looking! I never did make it to my dealer yesterday, I'll have to try again today. And there's a Babylock dealer near work that I know has some used machines, I'll check there too but that place tends to want a lot for their used machines, as I discovered when I was shopping for a travel machine for myself.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 AM

Rodney,
Here's one Olivia might like, a Kenmore 117-720. I was going to post a picture but my computer or the QB or something won't do it right now. A nice vintage two tone SS round bobbin machine with lots of class. Has forward and reverse and sews beautiful straight stitches.

Sewnoma,
She's a bit on the fussy side and is absolutely paranoid about dirt and germs
That is not a good thing. Paranoia is an illness that needs to be dealt with.

As far as the newer machines I would not waste my time on them. No more. I've been burned two many times.
The last one we got was a 95 vintage that isn't the same clam shell design as the current ones, but is still junk. It was so new there were barely any signs of use. But still it has a badly cracked gear that wont last long.

Had I a daughter that was refusing to use an older machine, she'd change her mind, or do without.

Joe
Old 09-03-2014, 10:14 AM

Are you looking for "vintage" or just an old working machine that has some miles on it?

Did you check with Legacy in Sebastopol? I don't know if they have machines - but they might know where to look.

Lin
Old 09-03-2014, 10:38 AM

Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend the Walmart Brother or Singer machines. I was perpetually frustrated with the ones I tried. My favorite - and the first non-treadle I learned to sew on - was a Kenmore ca 1976 that cost $99 back then. It was just so reliable, strong and versatile. Although it ised cams, it had lots of stitches. The cams might be fun - I liked them.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:54 PM

I stopped by the hospice thrift shop today again, just to see, and to ask. It turns out they horde their machines until they have 30-40 of them and then they have someone who will come by and test them all, do "minor repairs" (I am thinking probably just cleaning & oiling), and price them out for them. So that's a cool policy, I just wish they got them out onto the floor more often!

So next I stopped by a sew & vac shop that has used machines and I walked out with a used Brother for $49. It's a "plastic wonder" (which I think I just felt a little earthquake from so many of you shuddering) but it has a nice big stitch selector dial and a nice big reverse lever and it's fully mechanical so I think it'll be easy for her to use. They wanted a lot more but when I said $50 was my absolute top dollar and that it was for a little girl, they dropped the price. It's supposed to be fully serviced and comes with a 90 day warranty. Of course I won't even be teaching this girl for around 45 days from now so I'll have to make sure to sew with it myself a bit to make sure it's good. Tested out fine in the shop. Not a fantastic price but not terrible either.

That is not a good thing. Paranoia is an illness that needs to be dealt with.
I am on the same page with you, J Miller, but she's not my kid and I'm not a parent at all so other than trying to "lead by example" and gently pushing at her limits when she's in my house I pretty much keep my mouth shut. The first time I met her, she went into hysterics (and had to be taken home) because my dog licked her knee. This was over a year ago and she's getting better (I think school is helping and I know her parents are working on it too) but...it is what it is. But overall she's a good, well-behaved kid, or I wouldn't be willing to let her come over and play with my toys! (Plus I adore her mom, genuinely one of the NICEST people I've ever met.)

So, I guess my search is over. Of course now I still want an awesome vintage machine for ME, but that's a whole 'nother story.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:46 PM

Sewnoma,

She kind of sounds like a little girl I sat for several years ago. Really sweet little thing but suffered from ADHD and a couple other maladies. I hear she's getting better too. I don't envy the little girls parents at all.

Joe
Old 09-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Banned

You know, I'm on the Yahoo Brother group and lots of those gals have Walmart Brothers and love them. I'm not a fan but I won't bash most of them either because it comes down to how you use the machine and what you expect out of it. Also, whether a plastic machine is any good depends on whether it has a full frame in it or not. If it does, it should last 10 years or more. Remember, we have become the throw away society. Nothing today is made to last like our vintage babies. If it doesn't have a full frame, it might last until the warranty is up if you don't hit a pin or try to sew a heavy seam. I think you made a good choice for that particular child.

Cari
Old 09-03-2014, 07:10 PM

It sounds to me like you made a good choice too. Just as new and shiny isn't for everyone, vintage isn't for everyone either. It sounds like this particular girl will be happier with a newer machine. Let us know how it does when you've had a chance to work with it.
Rodney
Old 09-04-2014, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Sewnoma,

She kind of sounds like a little girl I sat for several years ago. Really sweet little thing but suffered from ADHD and a couple other maladies. I hear she's getting better too. I don't envy the little girls parents at all.

Joe
It's odd because I am not sure where her "dirt" phobia comes from. Neither of her parents are like that at all - it's gotta either be a chemical imbalance thing, or maybe she's got a nutty grandmother she's copying, I don't know. I don't think she's been diagnosed with anything - in all other ways she seems like a very normal, smart, happy little girl. I am hoping that this is just a phase for her.