Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't find decent baby girl fabrics

Can't find decent baby girl fabrics

I have to make another baby girl quilt and want to use a simple pattern for fat quarters - don't even care if I have to buy 1/2 yards at a time, but can't find anything decent and somewhat traditional in baby girl. suggestions?
    ​Nancy

I'm unsure what you're looking for. Princess or fairy or . . ? I rely more on color choices in baby quilts than on prints. Sorry I'm no help.

Banned
    where are you located in case you you are near a place I might know.

what do you mean by "somewhat traditional in baby girl"

How many are you looking for. 1 or 15? since you say fat quarters or yardage. And colors.

"Traditional bab girl" canmean different things to different peple.

There's lots of fun pink cotton fabric here. http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2...3-26a376046a5e

Quote Originally Posted by bigredharley View Post
    I have to make another baby girl quilt and want to use a simple pattern for fat quarters - don't even care if I have to buy 1/2 yards at a time, but can't find anything decent and somewhat traditional in baby girl. suggestions?

Flowers? Cupcakes? Ice cream cones? Toys on pink background? Scenery? Animals? Letters? Butterflies?
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    There's lots of fun pink cotton fabric here. http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2...3-26a376046a5e
    That's a great link!! Has my mouth watering already!! So sweet fabrics!

I love the Bunny Hill designs - they have some adorable fabrics. You can check them out at FatQuarterShop.com

Blog Entries
    Just about every quilt fabric is more girl then boy.
    Got fabric?

Aw, here's an adorable one from online e-quilter
    http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc...28113029191.62

There's a really cute pink dancing fairy flannel that I used for the last baby girl quilt I made. I got it at Walmart and I saw some still there a few days ago.
    This is a picture of the fabric and the two coordinating fabrics I used.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mom-6; 06-28-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Add picture

I'm thinking bunnies, puppies, ducks, rattles, moon & stars. Most of the fairies and things I'm seeing are too modern/little girl, not newborn. I looked at fatquartershop and we are making progress now!

http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...80&Parent_Ids=

is adorable........ oh - this is it!!! LOVE THIS Girl Celebration Bunny Hill Designs Fat Quarter Bundle
    August 2013 for Moda Fabrics

​Nancy

Blog Entries
    Maybe not to girly, but a simple one.Name:  100_0684.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  105.8 KB

Have you asked the mom what color scheme or theme she has in the nursery? I recently made a pink, white, grey quilt in chevron design for a modern mom who likes those colors/patterns. The back of it is a pink print with little girls playing, jumping rope, etc. My point is some new mothers have very distinct tastes, so it's good to know what they are if you want the quilt to be loved and used.

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    There's a really cute pink dancing fairy flannel that I used for the last baby girl quilt I made. I got it at Walmart and I saw some still there a few days ago.
    This is a picture of the fabric and the two coordinating fabrics I used.
    The fairies are adorable but that speckled check grabbed my eye.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by bigredharley View Post
    I'm thinking bunnies, puppies, ducks, rattles, moon & stars. Most of the fairies and things I'm seeing are too modern/little girl, not newborn. I looked at fatquartershop and we are making progress now!

http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...80&Parent_Ids=

is adorable........ oh - this is it!!! LOVE THIS Girl Celebration Bunny Hill Designs Fat Quarter Bundle
    August 2013 for Moda Fabrics

But a newborn isn't "little" long!
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I found the same...many want colored plain prints and are fuzzy about color.
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
    Have you asked the mom what color scheme or theme she has in the nursery? I recently made a pink, white, grey quilt in chevron design for a modern mom who likes those colors/patterns. The back of it is a pink print with little girls playing, jumping rope, etc. My point is some new mothers have very distinct tastes, so it's good to know what they are if you want the quilt to be loved and used.

I think I know what you mean, I have just started looking, she's not due til Jan. But I am not impressed with the colors I have seen so far. I'm looking for the traditional, soft baby colors. Something that when completed with be restful, calming, tranquil, no popping wanted.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

my favorite quilt store on line, beverlys' fabric, they have the cutest baby fabric, traditional and non, and oodles of panels.

I would look for a pre- cut ensemble - Riley Blake has a lot of coordinated baby girl type fabrics - and of course Moda too - I love getting the fat quarter bundles - you don't have to find coordinating fabric you just need your pattern and you're good to go.

I personally love the Sophie, Collette or Ticklish lines by Moda, definitely feminine without being babyish. Something to grow with baby. Sophie and Collette are older lines may be harder to find.(Ebay)
    i as well have a baby quilt to be creating soon(real soon) I will be doing a Black, white, bright pink, polka dot theme Chevron toddler quilt, found a free pattern online too. Google "toddler chevron quilt" the Chevrons are very popular right now, mom loves the Chevron, what she found in the baby stores.
    I feel your pain, took me forever to get the plans settled on, mom was having a hard time describing what she wanted.
    Good luck!

i have three or four fairy butterfly soft print as well as some batiks that i love to use. i love to use soft colors in baby quilts. abd to make them more for a bit older baby to love as they grow up. both my little ones still use their baby quilts and love them. i have made larger ones for them to use as they get to big to be wrapped up in the baby size quilts.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Blog Entries
    Try out www.bearpawquilting.com click on the online catalog and up pops everything by what it is like trains, flowers, boats, fairies, cars ect ect.

Pink and White Stripes, and Polka dots.,,,,, or yellow and white, or dainty mini floral and checks . lilac or lavender checks, I made one years ago out of gingham checks and muslin using : pink, yellow, lilac, orange and green and blue small checks... that way you can make some coordinating accessories for the baby's room, or bibs or a bag to hold extra diapers and changing pad for in the car... etc.. bonnets are coming back...
    Friend who can share your laughter and tears are the only ones you need.

Mama of a baby girl here I've made her several quilts as well as a few for friends, so I know what you mean. There are a lot of modern prints that are super popular right now, but personally I love old-fashioned baby quilts. My favorites are ones made with 30's repro/feedsack fabrics, try looking for those. I buy a lot of fabric online on Etsy and usually find good deals on FQ bundles there. As others have mentioned, ask the mother what colors she is considering for the nursery and go from there. If I had to make a new baby girl quilt now, I would love to use California Girl by Moda - sweet and old-fashioned but a little modern with the grays and yellows - https://www.threadbias.com/fabrics/f...-38-fabrics--5

Here are a couple I've made for my daughter:
    Attached Images Attached Images

~Sarah

Full-time Wife & Mama to 2 Beautiful Babies & Part-time Quilter

Remember you can always buy some prints you like if you stay in a color family and then dye all of it about teh color you chose. That way, you can make fabric match
    U N T I E

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast