Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Can't find a decent vintage machine anywhere in town! >

Can't find a decent vintage machine anywhere in town!

Can't find a decent vintage machine anywhere in town!

Old 09-02-2014, 05:36 AM

Default Can't find a decent vintage machine anywhere in town!

I swear it's like someone descended on this town and bought up every single used machine available.

I am used to always seeing at least ONE used machine in every thrift shop.

Now that I'm actively LOOKING for an inexpensive used machine to buy...I can't find a single one!!

My friend's 7 year old daughter wants to learn to sew. I don't want her on my expensive computerized machines because she tends to get stubborn and not listen periodically; so I thought a nice used/vintage/non-computerized machine would be the way to go. I usually see them for about $35-$40 and at that price I could even let her keep the machine as a "graduation" present if she seemed to really get into sewing.

I went to every thrift shop I could find, within a 40 mile radius over this past 3-day weekend, and I came up empty handed. The only machines I found were two severely overpriced Singer clones in beat-up cabinets. (Talking about rusty, beat machines with parts missing, and each was well over $100. No thanks!) So weird!! Not even any of the 90's plastic machines were to be found.

So, which one of you is swooping up all the machines in Sonoma county? LOL
Old 09-02-2014, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

My niece wanted to learn to sew. Went to Hancock's and got a Janome. Paid about $50.00 for it. She does everything on that machine. She's 10. I wouldn't get one she wouldn't want to sew on. The Janome she has is easy to work with. The manual is an easy read. The only thing I made her do was to thread the machine and take the bobbin in and out a couple times. This is not at all computerized. She left it at her Gma's (my sister) house. Gma has used it and loves it. Niece has made pillow cases, pillows, drawstring purse. I was not going to spend a lot of money if she was not going to show much interest. This machine is great for piecing. For $50.00 It has been worth the money. And by taking care of it, it'll do the trick for now. I think it would be a great machine for a 7 year old. This one is something I would take to a guild to use. It isn't real loud either. She comes over once in awhile when I call and let her know I have scraps she may want. She has made a quilt for her cat and her dog. I would go and check it out.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:15 AM

My 9 year old daughter (we started when she was 8, attention span of a gnat), won't sew on a vintage machine because she thinks they go too fast. Obviously, depends on the kid. Mine is scared of a single ant, so there you have it.

Availability: machines come and go here. Sometimes they are absolutely everywhere, sometimes I can look for a week before I see one. I have much better luck with thrift stores that pick up donations (places that buy the amvets/vietnam vets stuff, catholic thrift stores, etc) then goodwill. You might end up with a table machine but it's easy enough to move the table along.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:24 AM

I have a number of vintage machines, with the oldest being from around 1900, most of which have been acquired here in California. I have found them on ebay, thrift stores, and yard sales, and most of them are VERY reasonably priced. With the attachments that came with the older machines, one can do just about anything a modern machine can do, outside of embroidery or fancy stitching. I've even seen references to "free-motion" embroidery done on a straight stitch only machine.

Keep your eyes open and keep looking. They're out there.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:56 AM

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/sea...chine&sort=rel

By the way, this one's a collectible machine and worth quite a bit, despite a missing slide plate and who-knows-what-else:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/fuo/4632337641.html

Last edited by KenmoreRulesAll; 09-02-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:58 AM

It goes that way for me too. If I'm actively looking for something it's nowhere to be found. If I'm not looking, I'm tripping over the dang things.
Don't worry, more will show up.
Rodney
Old 09-02-2014, 07:00 AM

I am of the same mind as tessagin; go to Walmart and get one of their disposables (that is what we of the QB call the Brother and Singers sold at WM); for the price and looks, they can't be beat. You will find that today's young people want a machine that looks like a "new" one and the "old" ones are just what grannie likes. The only one of my vintage machines that my DGD will sew on is my FWs (and you probably already know, they cost a LOT anymore); take her with you to Walmart and let her pick out her own--watching the price tags and being sure what you are buying for her. I know that can be a big mistake sometimes, but when she looks at the over-priced one, tell her "it is too complicated for you right now, maybe next year"......thinking every minute, Grannie.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:12 AM

I've pretty much given up on Goodwill. Seems like they only have clothes in the local shops, and maybe a few kitcheny items. I think all their "stuff" is picked over and put up on their auction site! My favorite local thrift shops are run by the local hospice system and I really expected to find several machines there but no luck! I went to all 3 of their locations. DH found an awesome old Zenith radio...I found nothing. BOO!

I looked at the Goodwill auction site and they seemed to have some good deals, but then once you add shipping it's not really much of a deal for a machine that all I know about it is a comment like "needle moves".

I think I'm going to swing by my Janome dealer on my way home; they also sell Bernina and service older Singers & Kenmores and sometimes they have some older/inexpensive machines they've gotten on trade-in. If nothing else I can let them know I'm looking. Fortunately I'm not in a big hurry, my friend is due to have a new baby in about 2-1/2 weeks and doesn't want to start sewing lessons for her daughter for about a month after that. So I have time to keep hunting!

Tessagin - you don't happen to know the model of the Janome you got, do you? We don't have Hancock's in this area but I'm curious about what you got. $50 is a little more than I'd prefer to spend but not outrageously so, especially for a new machine. I had no idea Janome had machines for that little!
Old 09-02-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
go to Walmart and get one of their disposables (that is what we of the QB call the Brother and Singers sold at WM); for the price and looks, they can't be beat.
I think Sewnoma's idea is a better one. Introducing a little girl to sewing with plastic rubbish that won't make a decent stitch could easily put her off sewing permanently. My sister was one of those (although she was an adult at the time): Bought a Brother, struggled for years to make it work, left it in the cupboard and never sewed again. I've met quite a few people who shared this story. Older machines (I'm thinking pre-1965) have a quality that makes them pleasant to use. They can be understood, fully controlled, self-maintained, they won't break easily and with maintenance will last for hundreds of years.
I'd recommend a 401 or 411 for a beginner. Here they can be found reasonably cheaply (last one I paid $25 for - after a service it looks and goes like new), and can do just about everything. Only drawback, if you could even say that, is that the slant attachments are slightly harder to find. The machines have no electronics at all, are not that heavy (although they are reasonably heavy) and very solidly built.
Electrical wiring is a possible issue with older machines, but if you get it checked by an OSMG (old sewing machine guy) or even buy it from one you should be OK. I haven't seen a 400 series machine yet that had an electrical problem but it's not worth the risk.
With a bigger budget (or some luck) a featherweight would be fantastic for a child. Very light, very cute (they look like a child's machine) and produce an excellent stitch. I considered getting one for my girl (who's 12 now) but instead got her a 1970 Singer 498, which she's still scared of (she's hand sewing nearly everything until now, but uses the 498 when she has a big sewing job). The 498 cost $7.50 plus $32.50 for the replacement nylon timing gears. Those gears are only in post 1964 Singers, and not in all of them.
You have plenty of options but I guess it comes back to there not being any old machines in your area. Maybe a day trip out of your area with the little girl is in order.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Try checking in Vallejo. Hubby and I drove through there yesterday and at the Senior thrift they had 5 or 6 of them! Yesterday everything was half price too! *I managed to control myself.