Clones from A to Z - update

Old 11-24-2014, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by sews View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]500053[/ATTACH]

Here's my Bel Air Bantam. It takes a 15 bobbin; the one that came with the machine actually seems to be even a tiny bit smaller. I last used it with the ruffler foot, as shown.

The only issue I have with this very cute little machine is that I cannot 'set' the stitch length the way I can with the 201, making it difficult to get back to he same setting after a few stitches in reverse.

Has anyone found a work-around?

Sabine
Sabine,

Are you sure it takes a Class 15 bobbin? My SEWMOR version takes the Class 66 bobbin. And almost every horizontal top loading machine I've seen does too.

If that is a horizontal drop in bobbin that takes the Class 15 it will be the first one I've seen. Could you post a pic of the bobbin area without a bobbin in it?

Joe
Old 11-24-2014, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

I'm thinking I would try making a wedge out of sculpy bakey stuff. Yup it might fall out but I guess you could make a little hole in it and tie a string to it... LOL
Old 11-24-2014, 10:10 AM

Oops. Sorry. I got that backwards. For the longest time, until I recently got my Redeye and the Citation, I had only one kind of bobbin, so it was simply "the bobbin" and then the confusion started.... ;-) .

(I guess I thoroughly ignored the plastic Brother as much as possible.)
Old 11-24-2014, 03:18 PM

Default Sewmor Featherweight

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Dianne,

I too have a SEWMOR Featherlight. It's a good copy of the Singer 99K-10. Mine is one of my favorites.

I didn't realize the main shaft is larger than the Singers. I'll have to check mine. Then again, I have a Chinese spoked hand wheel that's shaft bore is a bit on the large size. That might fit.

Rewiring the motor is no big deal. Your motor man just doesn't want to mess with a motor that someone else has worked on. They are fairly simple to rewire. I've done a number of them.
I believe the BelAir Bantam is the same machine just badged with a different name.

My Dressmaker 15 clone is a very pretty pastel blue.

I've named it Smoky Blue cos the motor blows smoke when I use it. I don't worry about it cos if it does fail, I'll just fix it. I'm hoping it cleans itself out eventually. It runs so good I don't want to take it apart.

Joe
Joe,

It's curious that your Sewmor has the feather decal, but doesn't proclaim itself a Featherweight like mine does. Legal issues? Maybe not, as I don't think Singer used that name, just 221 and 222.

Your pastel blue Dressmaker is lovely! My tan one has a striped look to its faceplate, but otherwise seems identical. Except it doesn't smoke.

Does the IAAA have meetings?

Dianne in Colorado
Old 11-24-2014, 03:33 PM

I'm surprised you don't have one of these on that list, not really I have posted this on many web sites. no one has ever seen one.. The darker color is the correct color of the cabinet.

This is not a export machine. it does not have the export type serial numbers.

manual is in Japanese, yet the lettering on attachment boxes is in English (Ruby) nothing is dated.

It life in the USA was spent strapped to a pallet, wrapped in plastic. I found in a drawer a P -38 with U.S. marking.

The stand is cast not tubercular and has three legs on each side

[ATTACH=CONFIG]500104[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]500110[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_9652.jpg   100_9655.jpg   100_9648.jpg  
Old 11-24-2014, 08:36 PM

xxxxxxxxxx, The reason I didn't have a Toyota machine in my clone collection is I haven't seen one before. Thanks a bunch for the pics. That is a really sweet machine. Joe
Old 11-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Power Poster

That Toyota has very Japanese looking decals. Cool.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:06 PM
Banned

That Toyota is a nice one. Here's a bit of it's history-
http://www.sewtoyota.com/historyDetails.php

Cari
Old 11-25-2014, 09:12 AM

Thanks cari, I've read that one. Thats more the history after wwII and export machines..

They were making machine before WW II, I forget when and havn't seen photo's of the style of machine. The company name Over There is Aichi Kogyo co, LTD.

I"m sure this one is somewhere in the 50's, maybe even 60's

I have to tell this story. The add was on C/L, it ran off and on for just over 1 1/2 years at $40. when it first appeared there was a photo of the machine. after that each time it was just the back of the cabinet, which also has the Toyota sticker. just like the tail gate of there older pickups.

all this took place a few years ago, when these older machine first started being graded up. The story's were going around about groups buying and shipping them to mexico and other south American countrys.

They super missed out on not buying this one. The base is cast iron all the poivts are brass , the machine it's self is like new, and sews better than any singer, fact I'd put it right there with Pfaffs.

After having this, it's easy to spot any other branded machine made by Toyota, by there boby shape and I think by the shape of the feed dog drop knob ?

The cabinet ( wood) is very well build, it just isn't what we think of as quality wood.

it's ID tag is in the same place as most imports and reads Toyota H1022 . under this 24324 A 7

The machine belonged to the sellers uncle and was still packed in military shipping style, along with the P 38 in the drawer. the seller was maybe mid 40's so guessing uncle was in his 60's / 70's and had died.
The machine looks like it's from the 70's yet the paper in the manual is aged like from the 50's ??

A seldom talked about factor in SM manufacturing. The asian countrys have been making these as long as the rest of the world.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
A seldom talked about factor in SM manufacturing. The asian countrys have been making these as long as the rest of the world.
Not quite..... but they were making them before WWII for sure