Couldn't pass it up

Old 05-25-2015, 04:37 PM

I'd have a hard time leaving it behind too. I also like the travel iron. Great gets!
Rodney
Old 05-25-2015, 05:26 PM

Nice find. I bought one for $10 and it is a sweet, little, half-ton machine. :-)
Old 05-26-2015, 05:31 AM

She's petite but not light, right? LOL DH groaned when he picked it up, and helpfully pointed out a "nice light plastic" machine right next to it. He knew better though, of course I want the heavy one!

She's cleaned up pretty well, greased and oiled and running smooth now. I love it when they go from jammed tight to spinning a couple of revolutions when you give the hand wheel a throw! (With the motor detached, of course) Need to adjust tension a little still but she spins like a top now. They had the belt on way too tight, amazing how much more powerful the motor seems when it's not fighting against itself. Between that and the massive thread snarl it came with, I think I know why the original owner gave up on it!

I still can't tell if it's bug poop or mold. It does have a poop-like pattern in where it is on the machine but it's either been there so long it's stained the paint or it is mold after all. I got her "freckles" to be a lot lighter but still not totally gone. I think I might try some car wash detergent on it later. That stuff cuts through just about anything but doesn't hurt paint so I think it should be safe.

Now I just have to figure out what to DO with it! I stole the light cover/lens from this machine for the lamp on my 99K I'm restoring. I feel a little guilty about that but I like the 99K better so it gets the parts! I don't like either being incomplete though, so I'm still watching eBay for a reasonably-priced part. I don't suppose anybody knows where to buy new ones? I tried searching but came up empty; probably using the wrong words.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:36 AM

Looks like mine, only in better shape. Mine was $30 but it is in a table. It is missing a spool pin and getting it home, it tipped over and the fancy light fixture lost a few fragments to the crash. Have saved them to try and E6000 them back together. It also has quite a few small paint chips. I think it lived in an abusive home. So, then I abuse it before I get it to my home. The belt was intact, but on it's very last leg, so need a new one of those and the spool pin and she will be ready to hum. Hope the stainings on yours are easily removed.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:55 AM

You might find a replacement lamp online. I know I've seen them on eBay!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 AM

Of course you couldn't pass her up. She will be so happy once you have her cleaned and running.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:10 AM

Great find for you!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
She's petite but not light, right? LOL DH groaned when he picked it up, and helpfully pointed out a "nice light plastic" machine right next to it. He knew better though, of course I want the heavy one!
Oh yeah, the only time I'll pick up a plastic machine is to get to the metal one behind it!

Thanks for the tip about auto detergent, I'll keep that in mind. Alcohol also works well on molds and is less reactive to paints and most varnishes.

Singer might still sell compatible lamps. They might even come with LED bulbs.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:14 PM

There are replacement lamps available but they're a different style, not the cute round spotlight lamp that these and the 99's come with. For me, the lamp is about 30% of the charm of these machines!