Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
De Luxe Zig Zag N-201 Stradivaro? >

De Luxe Zig Zag N-201 Stradivaro?

De Luxe Zig Zag N-201 Stradivaro?

Old 01-19-2014, 11:03 AM

!! That is a pretty machine, lucky you. I'm afraid if I had a machine with that many knobs, that I would go nuts trying to figure them all out!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-22-2020 at 11:52 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-19-2014, 11:28 AM

Thanks for all the replies! You are right I should expand my search to other brands to look for a similar model. My wife really got excited when she took as many layers of denim as she could fit under the foot and it sewed it beautifully with ease!

Granted the features on her new machines spoil her, but this one is quickly earning its place!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by aronel View Post
WOW!! That is a pretty machine, lucky you. I'm afraid if I had a machine with that many knobs, that I would go nuts trying to figure them all out!
aronel,
I've had my Alden for almost two years now:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]457452[/ATTACH]
And I still haven't completely figured out all the controls and settings.

Originally Posted by StMute
Thanks for all the replies! You are right I should expand my search to other brands to look for a similar model. My wife really got excited when she took as many layers of denim as she could fit under the foot and it sewed it beautifully with ease!

Granted the features on her new machines spoil her, but this one is quickly earning its place!
The new machines have lots of patterns and features the old(er) ones don't, but I'm not impressed as to their longevity.
My Alden with all the settings has nearly 90 pattern variations. I still haven't tried them all.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]457456[/ATTACH]

Joe
Attached Thumbnails alden-f_web.jpg   alden-test-patterns_web.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 12:43 PM

Wow - that's stunning!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
aronel,
I've had my Alden for almost two years now:

And I still haven't completely figured out all the controls and settings.

The new machines have lots of patterns and features the old(er) ones don't, but I'm not impressed as to their longevity.
My Alden with all the settings has nearly 90 pattern variations. I still haven't tried them all.

Joe
Impressive Joe!
I guess this is just what has become of most products these days. Build them so they break, otherwise consumers will be buying replacements from their children or grandchildren. It's the old cliche, "They don't make 'em like they used to!"

My next concern is parts..
Old 01-20-2014, 04:59 PM

Welcome from SC, I have a manual for the deluxe model of this machine. If you will pm me with a mailing address I will gladly make a copy and mail it to you.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:10 PM

Gotta say, that is one of the looking machines I have seen. I'm serious, the dials, the color, the layout, the heft. Wow. You got a good one. Can't help you in a practical way, but sounds like your wife is intuitive and smart. Good luck on your search and congrats on your 'chine!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-22-2020 at 11:54 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-20-2014, 05:27 PM

I've seen that model machine before...it is a big time workhorse. I'm pretty sure that I've seen very similar branding of Morse or Alden. Maybe you can find a book for one of those.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 PM

That's great palmetto girl! I'll send you a PM and we'll work it out so I can pay you for it!

zozee, you're right she intuitive and smart!

You know it's funny because I took those pictures of the machine before we bought it. We were concerned that there might be something wrong with it so we didn't buy it immediately. We went home and tried to look it up, but couldn't find that specific one anywhere online. But the more I looked at my pictures of it, the more I fell in love with it. The more we fell in love with it, the more I worried that it would be gone the next time we were able to swing by and pick it up. We convinced ourselves that we were idiots for not taking the $30 gamble while we had the chance. So my wife went the next morning. Obviously it was still there. My wife said it had actually been there for a while before we spotted it. I guess we were the only ones that really saw it for more than just an old machine.

I guess the other thing that fascinates me about this whole thing is the roll reversal. I'm dazzled by this thing and while my wife thinks it's cool too, I think she's more impressed by the potential of what she can do with it. I mean, I've got tools that she thinks are cool but doesn't know how to use, and this is one of hers that I think is cool but I don't have a clue how to use. Probably because sewing is like magic to me. I simply can't get my mind around how this needle is punching holes in fabric and somehow the thread in the needle and the thread in the bobbin magically come together to hold the fabric together. It's not like there are 2 needles working together like crochet needles.. just one needle punching holes. It boggles my mind. What mad genius came up with a complicated gadget like this?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-22-2020 at 11:55 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-24-2014, 03:36 AM
Power Poster

Lots of Japanese machines with fancy stitches:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t207880.html
Feel free to post a picture!