Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Do I want this ?  Dressmaker 500 >

Do I want this ? Dressmaker 500

Do I want this ? Dressmaker 500

Old 05-19-2015, 02:04 PM

Default Do I want this ? Dressmaker 500

What can you tell me about this? It appears to be all metal and in good shape but very stiff and I can get it for a pretty good price.[ATTACH=CONFIG]520115[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails imag1686%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 05-19-2015, 06:39 PM

I am not even having any luck finding this model on the net.... is dressmaker a brand ? or a badge? ( yeah I know it is a model for several companies ) no one has info ?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:53 PM

I don't know a thing about other than lots of different machines came with the "Dressmaker" name on it. I've had one that was a bit similar and a piece of junque. I've got a blue 15 clone with that name on it too.

I think the machine in your pic uses cams. If so I have no idea which ones cos they is a bunch of 'em.

Joe
Old 05-19-2015, 08:06 PM

there is a built in metal stack ( cams)

the hole in the front that looks like a cam would go there is a missing selector knob.

Last edited by greywuuf; 05-19-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:31 PM
Banned

Several makers used the Dressmaker name. I have a model S4000 made in Taiwan that actually surprised me. It's a decent machine that sews a good stitch.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/caris_...7623754404505/

You'll just have to test it out and see if it sews worth a darn.

Cari
Old 05-19-2015, 10:32 PM

unfortunately ... no cord or foot control, have to buy it to try it ( part of why I can work a deal on it )
Old 05-20-2015, 05:10 AM

greywuuf, The cord blocks are not that expensive. Do you think they'd let you take the top off to inspect it before buying? That way you could see if there was any plastic gears inside. Joe
Old 05-20-2015, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

My machine repairman says it is a good well made brand.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:27 AM

Joe, the "lid" ( you can see the obvious line in the photo) is on a hinge and yes I have flipped it open, all of the gears were metal. the only plastic i could find was two "sliders" picture a spool or a set of truck dual wheels, on a 1/4" axle. there is an arm with a pin that sits between the wheels ( in the groove) they are in good shape and I figured worst case it is an easy shape to make from brass ( oilite) bushing material on the lathe. the cam stack selector arm is flat steel with a series of steps in it...that moves another pin and arm arrangement and the paint is not even worn off the contact points. there are two worm gears (metal) driven by standard gears ( also metal ) and the mesh pattern was barely visible but centered just like you find on a good ring and pinion. several of the moving part areas had clean rather heavy ( looked like from the factory ) grease on them. all in all it looks barely used and the stiff grease appears to have made it so that someone broke the "selector knob" and then just never used it.