Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Electro Grand My first fixer upper:/ need a coach.

Can anyone tell me if I am missing tension disks or if this machine doesn't use them?

Blog Entries
    What does the inside of the thingy next to the spring look like? Is there something to squeeze the thread in there? I've not seen one without disks.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I believe you mean the cover part that the tension spring pokes out of...? It is smooth metal on the inside. LOL I guess I need to learn the terms. Or is thingy official. haha

Blog Entries
    Thingy is official. Is there anything in the thingy that would hold the thread? It is an odd tension.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Not a thing. It just wraps into the grove and comes out the other side. It is very awkward I think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sambra View Post
    Not a thing. It just wraps into the grove and comes out the other side. It is very awkward I think.
    usually there is something to tighten/loosen/hold the thread - it's why it is called tension. I don't know if disks are missing or if it was an experimental tension. Understanding how a tension works might help you. There may be some video on line for that. Muv might even have one... if she doesn't she probably will read this and make a video showing how a tension works. You could just buy a new tension/find-an-old-one and put it on.

I would not be apposed to replacing it after all I really want to use it not just have it hold a vase of flowers. So any tensioner would work?

Blog Entries
    The tension has to fit the hole and be the right length. If you have some old junk machines around I guess you could test and see what fits. You might try ordering from Sew-classic - talk to her - she will help you find the right tension. Jenny is really nice. Stuff comes quick - get the Tri-Flo there, too. She has good bobbins. Get new tires for the bobbin winder and new spool pin felts - new motor belt - wires if you need them - dress up the machine!

I wish I could see that inside - then I would dig around in the junk and see if disks off another machine fit in there or what. Maybe it works like that - maybe someone else will chime in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sambra View Post
    Attachment 411428Attachment 411429Ok here is the tension configuration. The little part marked with an arrow I found in the accessories box, thought it might be part of the tensioner.
    Yes the little part with the arrow is a part of a tension. It goes in by the knob with the numbers if it goes to that machine. What holds the thread?

Ok I sent her a request for info and advise. Thanks for the help. I also need a light bulb so I should be able to get it there too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast