Fixer upper Singer 500A

Old 07-11-2014, 08:51 AM

Default Fixer upper Singer 500A

I saw a Craigslist ad for a vintage Singer for 10.00 showing a 500, and nearly ran to gas up the car. The seller mentioned they had lost the front piece for the tension and in the photo I thought maybe the top was missing something...but it was a difficult angle to tell for sure. I have been wanting this machine and don't see ads for them much so I went for it.

It was in sad shape when I got there. It needs cleaning and oiling to start and then we'll see what I can do with it. The top lid is missing, the pop up spool pins and other pin are missing. The molded cord is tearing apart at the molded point. The owner had it duct taped into the machine. (I wonder if I can glue the molded portion with something?) The faceplate needs a new pin. I might find more once I open it up.

I don't think the owner knew why it was running slow at all, but it is close to grinding to a halt so cleaning and oiling is the top priority. Here's my new project machine.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0171-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0179-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 AM

Christy,

You have a project machine for sure there. I did pretty much the same thing on one a year or so ago. Lots of cleaning, time, a bunch of parts and I've got a great sewing machine.
Here's the thread I did about mine. Maybe it will help a bit with yours.
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t206634.html }

Joe
Old 07-13-2014, 03:23 PM

My son got me one, took a lot of cleaning but it is up and running now. Mine is in a portable box. Pretty heavy to be a portable, but it sews really well.
Good luck with yours.

Ethel
Old 07-13-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Christy,

You have a project machine for sure there. I did pretty much the same thing on one a year or so ago. Lots of cleaning, time, a bunch of parts and I've got a great sewing machine.
Here's the thread I did about mine. Maybe it will help a bit with yours.
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t206634.html }

Joe
Holy Cow Joe, I had forgotten all about that machine and the cams. You did a great job restoring that machine. It needed a lot of work but the cams did come with it. I remember buying one brand new in 1963 and it cost about $350 and was a pain in the butt all the time I had it !
Old 07-13-2014, 05:24 PM

Love that unusual cabinet!! With all u have to do, I'm sure you will enjoy and love it once it's fixed properly!
Let us know how she runs eventually.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:05 AM

Wanabee Quiltin,

The 401s and 500s are not simple machines. I've found if you don't have a manual and don't use it to get the settings right they can be pains. But they are good machines none the less. It's us humans that cause most of the trouble.

Joe

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 03:06 AM. Reason: language
Old 07-14-2014, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by nwm50 View Post
Love that unusual cabinet!! With all u have to do, I'm sure you will enjoy and love it once it's fixed properly!
Let us know how she runs eventually.
It IS an unusual cabinet isn't it? I am sure it was once stained and finished wood and I wonder what it looked like then. The previous owner said it was painted like that when she bought it.

The 500 is coming along but it's going to take some time to get it all together. I have the motor working well now and it's cleaned up. I took the foot controller apart yesterday and found the nuts and bolts had been taken out and put back in the wrong order so I corrected that and adjusted it. It's working much nicer now.