Solar-Powered Sewing

Old 07-12-2014, 11:59 AM

Default Solar-Powered Sewing

How common is solar-powered electric sewing machines that you’re aware of, and to what extent do you think that they will replace treadle sewing machines in remote “non-grid” applications?

We have QB members now that use solar energy for all of their electric sewing machine activities, because they live in off-grid homes (Cathy mentioned that she’s off-grid in another discussion earlier). There are many others that have a treadle or hand crank machine at a remote 2nd home or get-away cabin that may or may not be supplied with grid electricity, and there are several of us that have “people-powered” machines not to be off-grid, but in case we find ourselves “grid-off”!

I find several YouTube videos of solar-powered electric sewing facilities in use for the past few years in remote villages in some countries. In some cases, the solar power is used to only power electric sewing machines, while in other cases they also power a light and possibly a fan. Some are in buildings, while others are more open-air, canopied areas. Solar-powered electric machines provide sewing capabilities beyond the traditional vintage treadle or handcrank machine.

I don’t have a solar-powered sewing machine yet. All of my electric sewing machines are wind-powered. Well, at least theatrically, in the sense that all of my electrical grid use is designated as such by voluntarily signing up for wind power several years ago with my electricity provider. Of course, wind farm and power plant electricity both come in on the same conductors, so it’s sort of wind-powered in name only.

Are you using solar-powered electric sewing machines? Or know someone who is? Do you think that solar energy will spell the final end for practical use of the treadle for sewing machine power?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-12-2014, 01:06 PM

I sew at a company using primarily solar power. Industrial twin needle machines, computers, laser cutters, heat presses, etc. I don't think solar energy will significantly affect the uses of hand cranks or treadles due to the need to have a power storage system. A severe storm sent a tree down on our roof, taking out the power grid. Without energy storage we were out of business for several days.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:46 PM

The videos that I’ve seen on YouTube show a variety of voltages and systems to make solar-power work for them. Some were using DC to AC inverters for AC, and others were using straight DC. They each used different motor systems to achieve the power that they needed for their machines. Having the correct motor for your system would be a real consideration.

I would say that most of them were using some type of battery storage for their systems, with varying amounts of “no sunshine” results. The more battery storage that you have, the less you have to depend on “perfect sunny day conditions”. But, the more batteries you have means more expense, along with more maintenance considerations.

Without batteries in the system, I would guess that it’s kind of like having a windmill for your water pump. No wind - no water. Wouldn’t a battery bank also help smooth out voltage swings?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-12-2014, 03:00 PM

I think you're more likely to find a solar powered home with a sewing machine inside than an actual solar powered sewing machine. IIRC the older Singer motors are already rated for 12VDC as well as 120VAC. I don't think any special mods would need to be made to run one on solar power.
I have a pretty good interest in alternative energy but a very small practical knowledge base. CD I think you did help with the push toward less reliance on fossil fuels by buying the wind energy rating so it's not entirely just "in name only" regardless of the ultimate source of your power. As more people buy the rating the power company will have to build more wind towers to meet the demand for that source of power. Hybrid systems are worth looking at too with part of your power supplied onsite by solar or wind with the rest coming off the grid. No need for a bank of batteries that way. I'm a big believer in a non-centralized power grid. I think it's much more reliable to have many small sites producing power instead of one large facility supplying all of it. A solar water heater is also a good step in the right direction. Direct conversion of solar energy to heat is very efficient. I think it would be nice if all new construction had to supply at least 10% of their energy onsite. That would be a good start. One good thing is many businesses are taking steps toward renewable energy and more eco-friendly, energy efficient buildings voluntarily.
Even if everything does eventually go solar I think there will still be people who treadle, if for no other reason than they enjoy it.
Rodney
Old 07-12-2014, 04:41 PM

I am one of those who will probably always treadle because I enjoy it.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:26 PM

I'm in process of creating a small battery/solar sytem so that can demo SM briefly. The solar panel wont be big ebough to be much help. Just to demonstrate the idea. I'll post when done. Less than 2 weeks to 1st show.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:06 PM

Rodney: I think that your “12VDC” was a typo, and you probably meant “120VDC”. Many Sewing Machine motors give a voltage rating of “AC or DC”, so a battery bank of 10 12VDC batteries should do the trick without any changes to the machines.

Rodney & Judy: I’m with you on treadling for the enjoyment. I love it.

Jim: I’d be interested in seeing your set-up! I wonder if anyone else has been looking into a solar sewing machine demo unit?

I have been concentrating on human mechanical power for my machines so much, that I really haven’t delved into solar at all yet. I was just wondering what other folks think about solar, and whether it will have any effect on the current resurgence of treadle-operated fun. If those folks far away that REALLY DEPEND on off-grid sewing machines for their livelihood tend to be turning to solar, what will that do to the treadle market? Anything? Will there be a flood of “cheap” treadle machines? If so, what’s that going to do to the folks that have been hanging onto the family treadle that they thought of as a sort of “Savings Account”, only to find out that instead of a valuable antique, it’s nearly worthless in this “solar-age”?

Thanks for your input.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-13-2014, 02:24 PM

CD I meant 12VDC but I think I was wrong. I just double checked and 1 motor I have from the late 40s/early 50s is rated at 110/120V AC or DC. It's also rated from 25 to 75 cycles. One reminder of a time when municipal power wasn't as standardized as it is today.
Rodney
Old 07-13-2014, 02:35 PM

Interesting thoughts on the effects on the value and market for treadles. I know there are a few companies that still offer treadles or treadle compatible machines. I doubt that we here in the states will notice any really appreciable difference in the market. Treadles here are already mostly bought and sold as antiques for their decorative rather than functional value. It may actually increase availability as the charities that have been acquiring and shipping treadle and handcrank machines to remote areas turn to shipping solar panels and motorized machines instead. Also as solar panels become more readily available I see an increased demand for newer zigzag/decorative stitch machines in remote areas where it was difficult to have one before due to the relative difficulty of fitting them with a handcrank or treadle.
Rodney
Old 07-14-2014, 05:37 AM

Those who live off the grid with solar, are already running their conventional sewing machines, just plug it in to the wall and go. (120 AC). What I'm doing is more just for display items with no power convenient. And maybe a small fan. and recharge my phone...