View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 02:06 PM
ThayerRags

Rodney: I think that your “12VDC” was a typo, and you probably meant “120VDC”. Many Sewing Machine motors give a voltage rating of “AC or DC”, so a battery bank of 10 12VDC batteries should do the trick without any changes to the machines.

Rodney & Judy: I’m with you on treadling for the enjoyment. I love it.

Jim: I’d be interested in seeing your set-up! I wonder if anyone else has been looking into a solar sewing machine demo unit?

I have been concentrating on human mechanical power for my machines so much, that I really haven’t delved into solar at all yet. I was just wondering what other folks think about solar, and whether it will have any effect on the current resurgence of treadle-operated fun. If those folks far away that REALLY DEPEND on off-grid sewing machines for their livelihood tend to be turning to solar, what will that do to the treadle market? Anything? Will there be a flood of “cheap” treadle machines? If so, what’s that going to do to the folks that have been hanging onto the family treadle that they thought of as a sort of “Savings Account”, only to find out that instead of a valuable antique, it’s nearly worthless in this “solar-age”?

Thanks for your input.

CD in Oklahoma