View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 11:59 AM
ThayerRags

Default Solar-Powered Sewing

How common is solar-powered electric sewing machines that you’re aware of, and to what extent do you think that they will replace treadle sewing machines in remote “non-grid” applications?

We have QB members now that use solar energy for all of their electric sewing machine activities, because they live in off-grid homes (Cathy mentioned that she’s off-grid in another discussion earlier). There are many others that have a treadle or hand crank machine at a remote 2nd home or get-away cabin that may or may not be supplied with grid electricity, and there are several of us that have “people-powered” machines not to be off-grid, but in case we find ourselves “grid-off”!

I find several YouTube videos of solar-powered electric sewing facilities in use for the past few years in remote villages in some countries. In some cases, the solar power is used to only power electric sewing machines, while in other cases they also power a light and possibly a fan. Some are in buildings, while others are more open-air, canopied areas. Solar-powered electric machines provide sewing capabilities beyond the traditional vintage treadle or handcrank machine.

I don’t have a solar-powered sewing machine yet. All of my electric sewing machines are wind-powered. Well, at least theatrically, in the sense that all of my electrical grid use is designated as such by voluntarily signing up for wind power several years ago with my electricity provider. Of course, wind farm and power plant electricity both come in on the same conductors, so it’s sort of wind-powered in name only.

Are you using solar-powered electric sewing machines? Or know someone who is? Do you think that solar energy will spell the final end for practical use of the treadle for sewing machine power?

CD in Oklahoma