Elgin Sewing Machine

Old 01-22-2014, 04:58 PM

Loooooolololol!

You are so right! Every time I read about how great this machine is, or how well that machine works, etc. I want to find it and own it for myself! I should just cool it and keep my eye out for a case for my 99K, a 201, 301 or 401. But....there's no fun in that.

Last edited by Rach L.; 01-22-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Rach,
Elna Supermatics are prone to a certain part breaking--can't remember the name.Jon
Jon, the part you may be referencing is the rubber pulley drive wheel attached to the motor which drives the main shaft. Terms are mine, not technical. The pulley is rubber and develops a flat side if not "exercised" ever so often. People describe the result as a helicopter noise. My recollection the pulley's price is not prohibitive but replacing it can be more challenging than most want. Otherwise, I feel the Supermatic is as sturdy as most Singers or Necchis. Others may want to expound. I have a green one and like it a lot. However, that's not a recommendation as I've not seen many pre-1960s machines I don't like.
Here's a YouTube link.

Last edited by Vridar; 01-22-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Spelling and link attachment.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
Jon, the part you may be referencing is the rubber pulley drive wheel atached to the motor which drives the main shaft. Terms are mine, not technical. The pulley is rubber and develops a flat side if not "exercised" ever so often. People describe the result as a noises hellicopter when this happens. My recollection the pulley's price is not prohibitive but replacing it can be more challenging than most want. Otherwise, I feel the Supermatic is as sturdy as most Singers or Neechis. Others may want to expound.
$30 for the part is pretty expensive in my book. Especially if you paid near that for the machine. I've had 4 or 5 of
those Elna Supermatics that I've rehabbed and released and I still have one in near mint condition. I've never bonded to them. The drop in bobbin is just not my favorite and they just don't do what I need a machine to do...but they're darn cute.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM

Since these Elna's aren't a favorite, are the Neechi's better to watch out for?

Candace, did you not like how the Supermatics operated, or is it that you just didn't care for the machine in general?
Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 PM
Banned

I have a Necchi (EARLY Model BC) that is awesome. Now If I could find it a new home......
Old 01-22-2014, 05:40 PM

Don't tempt me....you know I consider everything my eyes see
Old 01-22-2014, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rach L. View Post
Don't tempt me....you know I consider everything my eyes see
nope. to me it's the saying ' oldies are better'. i always see seller on CL with Necchi, kenmore, domestic (newer models) at an unbelievable low price but never been tempted. i always like my girls older (ha ha ha)...
Old 01-22-2014, 06:27 PM

OMG....I don't think I'd have that kind of willpower. We have a ton of treadles around here, and some of them are in unbelievable shape, but I don't know where I'd put them. If I can figure it out, I may have some new additions.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rach L. View Post
Since these Elna's aren't a favorite, are the Neechi's better to watch out for?

Candace, did you not like how the Supermatics operated, or is it that you just didn't care for the machine in general?
I think machines match our sewing needs and personality. I much prefer Elna's later model the 62C (Star Series). The Supermatic series aren't for me because of a few things. #1, the drop in bobbin can be a bit fiddly with thicker threads #2 the feed dogs don't lower and I don't care for the snap on feed dog cover #3 I don't care for knee control power-I much prefer the typical foot control #4 The pulley issue is always there...even when it's replaced, the machine needs to be either turned by hand every day so as to not develop a flat spot or left stored with the handwheel unscrewed and released from putting pressure on the pulley. So, every time I use it, I have to get out my screw driver and take a few minutes to tinker with it to get the handwheel pushed in and going again. Kind of a pain...

It's a personal thing. Some people love them. Me...I love other machines more. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Candace; 01-22-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 PM

That does help! I find your reasons well-founded, and I think I too would be irritated with that kind of fussiness from a machine. There are way too many others out there that need a good home that would suit me better. Also, with me being a student, I am not able to sew daily.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really do appreciate it! I guess my search for something more "retro" than "vintage" continues.....at least now I know I should pass on the Elna's.